Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's this sound?

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I have a neighbor whose house is well out of view and he is rarely seen to ever talk to. Anyway, something is making a sound like a fog horn.

It's been going off every 30 minutes or so for the past day and a half. I can hear it inside my house and over the TV.

Any clue what he is running that would sound like that?

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I see now that you changed your answer!

I've actually heard this about once a month for the past 3 months, but this time it won't turn off. And nope, I've been tending to my own business, so maybe one of the other neighbors ticked him off. hahahaha

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Might be alarm system sounding. I'd call the sheriff as something might be wrong. T least then the sound would stop.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
But Frank, I've seen him drive back to his house twice (I can see his driveway) so he is around and knows it is going off. I figure it must be some type of equipment but I don't have a clue as to what that would be.

Kevin.........is your drone working yet? Maybe you can get a peek!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Most heavy equipment has a backup alarm. Maybe he has a dozer or backhoe of there working.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
It's been going off all night long too. It woke me up a few times.

I called and left him a message, asking what it was. We'll see if he calls me back. I don't care about the noise (although it startles the dogs) but it is driving me nuts wondering what it is.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
He just called me back. I don't understand the particulars, but I'm sure you guys will.

Anyway......... he owns lots of property and he is getting free oil and gas off of his property. Something about it coming off the hill and when it comes too fast, the noise is pressure letting off. He said they adjusted it a month or so ago (that's what I heard then) but right now they are having a hard time getting it regulated so it keeps making noise.

He said it was nothing dangerous though, not like he's gonna blow up the road.

At the moment, it is now sounding off every 5 minutes, but a guy was out looking at it yesterday to figure out what they could do.

He also said he thought it sounded more like a tug-boat than a fog horn. A smartass in every crowd!