Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Go to bait for Bass

doublej

Well Lure..in Louisiana everything is a bait haha..

Some people may not want to discuss this type of top secret information..
But I'd like to see the difference in answers from ya'll vs. a LA forum I discussed this on. The majority their was some brand of soft plastic crawfish.

But what's that one bait you always turn too if things are slow?
Bait your most comfortable and confident with?

Mine is a Creme worm rig with the two hooks and spinner. Always catch fish on them and never know what it's going to be.
Also really like a rattlin' rogue, can't fish that thing wrong at all and top water is always fun. One of the better bass I've caught I was mad because I wasn't catching and started jerking that bait like crazy in frustration and WHAM, fish on.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
My go to is a 7 inch twirly tail rubber worm. Usually in liver red or green pumpkin. Rig it with a seedless slip sinker and medium sized bass hook, weed less. Also, tear off about 3/4 of an inch to an inch of the top of the worm. Another good color is tequila sunrise. Just ask Taylor haha!

HookBender

Columbus
I'm gonna have to go with the fluke on this one. Flukes are my confidence baits so in turn makes them my go to. Versatile, durable, and come in every color known to man for matching the hatch!

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have multiple baits I have a lot of confidence in, weightless senko is good because it has a lot of weight too it by itself and sinks pretty slowly and you can twitch it too give it a lot of lively action.... Tube baits rigged on a 1/4 ounce jig head when you find any rip rap or chunk rock.... My newest is drop shotting which I say new because I used it years ago and went away from it because I always used a spinning outfit and I hate spinning reels due too my lack of patience with them lol.... I can really get accurate with them on a bait caster so the rebirth of it has paid off in the last couple of years....

Will throw crankbaits and spinning baits but only when the finesse style isn't producing.... Rascals are my go too crank baits.... Colors in any of these baits are a preference by the individual that's why I didn't add those, what's good for me may not be so good for you.....

For me , I grab a Rapala , size and color depending on the fish I am after

Twitch it on the surface
Stop and go along a weed line
Burn it along the weeds or wood
Slow wake 2-4" deep over submerged weeds
Tie 2'-3' of line to the rear hook and add a unweighted bait holder hook and 3" grub , tube or salaminder , twitch or slow to med retreive along cover

John

Diesel

My go to is a 7 inch twirly tail rubber worm. Usually in liver red or green pumpkin. Rig it with a seedless slip sinker and medium sized bass hook, weed less. Also, tear off about 3/4 of an inch to an inch of the top of the worm. Another good color is tequila sunrise. Just ask Taylor haha!

I do a similar rig, but I always go with a black worm.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I enjoy a silver Johnson Spoon and frog back porkrine. You can skip em under a low tree limb or work em across the top of the Lilly pads. Nothing is more exciting than a lunker busting up through the Lilly's for the bait!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Senko
Spinner bait (white or bluegill color, willow blades)
K&E worm rig
Floating Rapala
Rattle trap

My absolute favorite in deep summer when everything is choked with weeds is a Wildthing. Big tube bait with a buncha legs, tails hanging off of it. Weighs a lot so you can get a good cast but it is almost neutrally buoyant. Pull it across the weeds and occasionally stop it, make it pulse....thwaaahhhppp. You may only catch 20 percent but it is fun!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
For artificial baits I've had good luck with powerbait worms. The best luck I've ever had though is using small bluegill with no weights or floats, just a hook. I don't think I've ever caught a bass on a lure other than maybe a few on a rooster tail while fishing for crappie. Using a bluegill is cheating, but it works well in ponds.

Kaiser878

ohio
Mao......I will let you in on a secret for the river that will out fish any crawdad crank on the market... If I am fishing the tusc or the sugar creek its all I throw..... Ive went head to head with lots of guys on the river...Because they laugh when I tell them what it is....Its old school....but for some reason in the summer it is dynamite on smallies and the saugeye tear it up too...... Get yourself a gold hot n' tot.....preferably with the red bill and black back......I promise...you wont ever throw another bait after that.... I throw them rt into the trees and logs and bounce them off shit....They rarely get hung up and when they do, give your line slack and they will float up and free themselves....

There are a couple other things I throw in the river also.......but one big secret is enough. haha

I am a crankin' fool...just ask J. I do some drop shotting and and I pitch and flip several different things... I fish a lot of strike king plastics...I also like to walk a ribbet with 60lb braid on the right lakes with the right conditions...

My buddy also makes his own plastics and I throw a lot of them.....In the near future I believe J will be also.....

The thing I have found about fishing is find something you are confident in...They all work....Somebody out there consistently catches fish on something you or I cant get a hit on... If your fishing reaction strikes, what worm or creature your throwing isnt really all that important, its about the right fish in the right spot....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Looking forward too the baits Zach.... Drop shot is a go too for me for warm water bass and will slay them during warm water slow times....

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I sure wish I knew how to fish cause this is all german to me. All I know is pole, hook, worm. I have caught alot of blue gill, anda couple catfish, but nothing else.

Last edited:

doublej

I sure wish I knew how to fish cause this is all german to me. All I know is pole, hook, worm. I have caught alot of blue gill, anda couple catfish, but nothing else.

I remember a guy on another form asking how you are supposed to catch fish on plastic worms since they have no hooks and how can you tie then to your line..hehe

It's not that tough...start with a spinner bait cast to structure and really it in set hook when you get a pull...about as simple has a cork and worm