Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Tamales

doublej

Tried my hand at making homemade Tamales..and well like most things I cook they came out Delicious haha

Tamale Corn husk (Find it makes it taste better than using parchment paper)
2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
1 Tbsp. Salt
1 Tsp. Black Pepper
1 1/2 tsp.Cayenne Pepper
1 1/2 tsp. Cumin
2 table spoons Sugar
3 lbs. deer meat
2 2lbs. bags Yellow Cornmeal (End up using about a bag and a half)
1 15oz can Tomato Sauce
Beef Bouillon (Optional)
Instant Potatoes (optional)

I meant to get some lard or beef fat or something to add to the deer meat and forgot so did straight deer.Still came out great and I added some beef "better than Bouillon" to the meat. Not sure how much I just eyeballed it. Due to the lack of fat I think this kept my meat from being pliable like it was supposed to be so I used instant mashed potatoes to thicken it up without hindering flavor. Then due to mashed potatoes I had to season a little more and just added Season All and Tabasco till it tasted right.

Soak the corn husk in water. And rinse any bugs off.
Mix all spices,tomato sauce, and 1/2 cup cornmeal in a bowl.
Brown meat then let cool and add spice/tomato sauce mixture and stir I also added some shredded cheese not a whole lot jut to thicken it a little. Should be able to roll like a meat ball but if it wont hold together add instant potatoes till you get the right consistency. Roll into a meat ball then roll into a little log that's about 5 inches long.

Get you a shallow pan and put 2 cups of corn meal.. Add water,just enough to be able to pack the corn starch and it's all wet but you don't want it soupy. Drop a little meat log on top and pack the cornmeal around it. Eventually you'll have to add more cornmeal/water to your pan so this is where you use up a lot of cornmeal. Drop that on a corn husk that you've been letting soak and fold the ends then roll.

Put in a steamer for 1 hour. I also realized I has about 30 tamales and my steamer could only do 6 at a time so I took a shallow pan that has a rack that sits in it. Put water in the bottom and tamales on the rack, wrapped in foil and stuck in oven at 400 for 45 minutes then let sit covered for a while. Came out just like the ones in the steamer.

Freeze extra...put in microwave with wet napkin on top 2:00 ish on each side from frozen to heat them up.
Topped some re heated ones with deer chili,raw onions, cheese, and sour cream..Talk about good!

uploadfromtaptalk1390943509013.jpg