Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Public land Forum

doublej

New to OH and looking to get info on several public lands..
Not spots or anything just maybe a little insight on pressure and turkey population so I know where to focus the little time to hunt I will have.
Anyway The public land forum says detailed info about every piece but it only has a VERY few.
Looks like this forum hasn't been touched in a good while.
IS there anyway this can be updated? Or added to ability to create a new thread for general public land questions/topics? Unless I'm missing something none of the places I want to inquire about have a thread.

Sorry about making demands after only being on here a few days haha

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No problem at all bud. It was a work in progress that kind of fell off after a while. Fell free to ask about any place you like. I'm sure someone here has experience with it. welcome.

doublej

Thanks man! Yea totally understand that.Also seems like a very good forum!
I'm very active on one in Louisiana that is what I refer to as a "friendly cult" haha...Really solid group of guys always ready to help each other with anything, TOO seems to be along the same lines.

Couple places I have on my list currently:
Salt Fork
Egypt Valley
Simco Wildlife Area
Tri-Valley Wildlife Area
Meiners
Clouse Lake Buffalo Fork

Basically just trying to figure general info. Decent turkey hunting or waste of time and what the pressure is like.
That way I know if it's high pressure I need to focus on deeper/hard to reach areas with my topo map, etc. and will help me to narrow down to 1 or 2 places. Or if the turkey population isn't too great then I can scratch it off the list.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
For turkey's your going to want to stay in the southern or far eastern part of the state. Places like Wayne national forest, Tar Hollow, or zaleski. Large areas of good woods land where turkey's were first introduced back to ohio. But to be honest with you man. Kentucky may be a better place to look for birds. Seems like they have more birds, season comes in earlier, and from what I hear not as many hunters. Ohio's season comes in a couple weeks late in my opinion. Kentucky's hits about perfect. If you're still bent on ohio. Look up last years turkey harvest on the DNR site. It should tell you by county and would be a good way to zero in on a productive area. I believe ky also has a report of harvest by county.