Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

BOSS snow products

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Went to the Work Truck Show today. Spoke with many manufacturers and checked out many products. Spoke with a couple engineers from Boss snow plows. They were on top of their game. The questions they answered were informative and explained why they do things the way they do. I did not meet any other engineers from other manufacturers. They only sent sales reps to the show. That in itself says something. I don't post this as a product promotion although it speaks for itself. I DO use Boss plows. I have several of the Boss push boxes and one Protech push box which will probably end up being sold as soon as we order our next 12' Boss box.

Enjoy these videos of product durability testing. I did score a new ball cap out of these guys, but I am looking for a job in their R&D test facility department. lmao

[video=youtube_share;yfdUs7JttC4]http://youtu.be/yfdUs7JttC4[/video]

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Another good one.

[video=youtube;bpjs-ng6nY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpjs-ng6nY0&feature=share&list=PL405C49E765BCE9BA&index=10[/video]

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
[video=youtube;IUH22tbFKFY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUH22tbFKFY&list=PL405C49E765BCE9BA&feature=share&index=7[/video]

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is not a small loader. Pretty good durability test. If it will do this then I don't think my backhoe will hurt it pushing snow. They are now getting ready to launch another series of boxes designed for wheel loaders. Looking forward to finding their durability tests for this series.

[video=youtube;FLDQIeITtwo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLDQIeITtwo&feature=share&list=PL405C49E765BCE9BA&index=9[/video]

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
That may be just what I need to help with my anger issues.
Someone to pay me to Fu*k shit up.
Where do I sigh up?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Now Phil why in the world would you want to drive down the road that fast and hit a rock that big on purpose?
Seems like you would want to miss it.
But the pieces do look durable.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Now Phil why in the world would you want to drive down the road that fast and hit a rock that big on purpose?
Seems like you would want to miss it.
But the pieces do look durable.

In years like this, there are so many collisions with old piles of snow that are now ice. They rattle your fillings. Very impressive

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I love how they show these videos where they slam the crap out of this rock but never show the plow damage afterwards. If it was minor or non existent I would think they would show that. I mean. I can push that rock around in my little truck and no plow. For a while anyway. Surely enough to make a single video.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
This is off topic Phil, but what kind of truck do you recommend pushing snow with? Late spring or summer I'm looking to invest in a newer 1 ton or 1 1/2 dump truck for pushing. My dodge does alright, a little too long and the ass end drops down a lot with a pallet of salt.

I need to retire my truck. When I push a crap load of snow my tranny goes into "limp mode" after 2nd gear and it gets to be a pain having to let it cool down 10 minutes after every job. Only does it after pushing and its been doing this since 2011.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Timbrens front and rear?

I spoke with Ford and Dodge people at the show yesterday. I have been nervous about the 6.7 Cummins. Asked some very specific engine questions at Dodge booth. They directed me to the head of their commercial truck department "engine guy". He was a hoot to talk to. Told me some good stories. I would be confident buying a 6.7 now.

Ford our 6.0 power stroke has been okay. Steer clear of the 6.4L. The Ford 6.7L seems pretty good as well. Our F350 does not carry the weight of a 9'2" Boss Vee as well as our Dodge trucks. Our ford and both Dodge trucks have timbrens front and rear. I wouldn't Consider a GM. They don't handle the weight of a vee plow very well. The Duramax has had some real expensive issues for several people I personally know. Not just isolated issues either.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I love how they show these videos where they slam the crap out of this rock but never show the plow damage afterwards. If it was minor or non existent I would think they would show that. I mean. I can push that rock around in my little truck and no plow. For a while anyway. Surely enough to make a single video.

Message was forwarded to John. He was passing it along to the engineers at Boss (ones who have posted these videos) today while he is still at the show. They were very interesting to talk to. I am sure they will take it into account and try to make it happen. They were very approachable and helpful.

Ben- Funny stuff. Wasn't me though. lmao

Alex- Do you have Timbren spring helpers in the front and rear? If not, $400 from Crysteel off their ebay store and roughly 30-45min of your time will greatly assist the saggy suspension issues. The transmission? There are some great updates and modifications being done at a handful of transmission shops. Several thousand on a modified transmission is cheaper than a new truck. Make one heckuva backup unit as well. Other thoughts are dropping $100 for a full trans flush.

No first hand experience with the Dodge 4500-5500. Too new and pricey for my blood. Ford 450-550 have been good. We don't have a 550 but I have not heard the first complaint from anyone I know with one. Our F450 has been good to us outside of starters, brakes, and the normal stuff. Just make sure you do NOT get the long wheel base model. Talk about a long pain in the butt to plow with. Ugh. Ours is like turning around an aircraft carrier. It has the mason's tool box between the cab and bed and a 10.5' dump bed on it. The thing is loooooong.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
I don't have any suspension support. I'll have to look into it. I'll end up retiring my current truck and keeping it for casual driving or a backup. But I really want dump truck and decal it out. Business vehicle only used for hauling my trailer and doing snow removal. Plans to do just that and buy a 20 ft landscape trailer, build racks and a cage up front. That will keep me from having to put crap in the truck bed.

Any truck I buy will be diesel.