Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This Weekend

joejoe8

Been planning on a shed hunting/scouting trip to Ohio for this weekend awhile now. Do you guys think the snow will be gone by Friday? I would love to be there right after the snow melts. But I don't want to waste a day looking in the snow. I will be in southern Ohio (Athens area) Thanks

joejoe8

Thanks Gordo, any tips as for where you've been finding them. Looks like you are having a good year so far.

joejoe8

Thanks! I'm starting to get pumped about the trip now. Maybe Ohio will change my shed hunting luck, Nc has whooped my butt so far.

Gordo

Athens County
The one thing ive been doing differently this year is not limiting myself on where to look. Been looking everywhere.

Just about all of them i have found have been in the woods around browse.

Im doing some driving right now and the snow is definitely on its way out.

Drop a line if you go out for a beer or anything in Athens.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I could be wrong, but I would think NC bucks would still be holding since some Ohio bucks are as well. Aren't southern bucks slightly behind schedule of northern?

I thought the same thing! I know they have great rutting action into our winter months.

joejoe8

LOL! we don't have great rutting action all year. Our rut falls about the same as Ohio, Nov. 3-15. Most of my day light buck trailcam pics are when I'm in Ohio. I know 5 different buck shed between Feb 3-8 on our Nc farm. My buddy found 5 in one afternoon, thats unheard of around here.
I thought the same thing! I know they have great rutting action into our winter months.

joejoe8

The one thing ive been doing differently this year is not limiting myself on where to look. Been looking everywhere.

Just about all of them i have found have been in the woods around browse.

Im doing some driving right now and the snow is definitely on its way out.

Drop a line if you go out for a beer or anything in Athens.

We always try an hit Leghorns up one night.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
LOL! we don't have great rutting action all year. Our rut falls about the same as Ohio, Nov. 3-15. Most of my day light buck trailcam pics are when I'm in Ohio. I know 5 different buck shed between Feb 3-8 on our Nc farm. My buddy found 5 in one afternoon, thats unheard of around here.

Huh, interesting. Must be the later rut for bucks farther south. I learned something today!

joejoe8

Huh, interesting. Must be the later rut for bucks farther south. I learned something today!
I guess its because, I'm only 9 hours southeast of Ohio. I've always heard about states like Miss, an Texas the rut runs right into mid Jan. I wish it was the case in our part of Nc, but my wife DOES NOT. lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Interesting to me as well. I know I've seen TV personalities hit Bama in January for their rut. I guess I just assumed NC was more like them instead of Ohio.

Have a safe trip and good luck on the shed hunting!

Gordo

Athens County
What part of NC are you from?

My sister moved to asheville a couple years back, and it looks like my folks will be moving there for retirement.

My brother in law just gained access to two prooerties to bow hunt in that area. Im lookin forward to doing some out of state deer hunting in the future!

The terrain reminds me of SE ohio, except for everything being bigger.

joejoe8

What part of NC are you from?

My sister moved to asheville a couple years back, and it looks like my folks will be moving there for retirement.

My brother in law just gained access to two prooerties to bow hunt in that area. Im lookin forward to doing some out of state deer hunting in the future!

The terrain reminds me of SE ohio, except for everything being bigger.

I live an hunt in the Ne corner of the state, very flat an very thick. Thousands an thousands of acers of timber company land. Asheville is other end of the state from me, should be good hunting.

joejoe8

If you like beer id suggest going into town and grabbing a bite at Jackie o 's. The students should be filing back in after speing break, but it shoukdnt be TOO bad.
Yes, I'll will need a cold one or six after walking them Ohio hills. We will look Jackie o 's up for sure. If any of you guys want to drink a few an talk hunting, let me know.