Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NASP - Get your local schools involved!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had the opportunity to work the NASP state tournament this past weekend down in Columbus. I've heard about this program over the years but this was my first hands-on experience with it. For those who have not been around a NASP event, I feel obligated to pass on just how awesome this program really is. We had over 1700 kids shoot on Saturday and it was incredible. Although very competitive, these kids were also some of the most respectful kids I've ever been around. My favorite thing about this program is that athleticism has very little to do with who participates and who succeeds. Kids of all shapes and sizes, all different amounts of athletic ability... were on a completely level playing field. They shoot the same bows, the same arrows, from the same distances. Kids with disabilities were just as successful as kids without. It was great to see so many kids involved in this program... kids who otherwise might not be involved in any other "traditional" organized sports.

If you have kids, or are related to kids, whose schools are not participating in the NASP program, please speak up and push for it. Obviously it helps get more kids involved and interested in hunting... But it accomplishes way more than that. It gets kids involved in team sport that otherwise might just sit at home playing video games. It truly is a remarkable program. I look forward to hopefully getting my future children involved one of these days.

I agree NASP is a great program. Its a great way to introduce them to competitive archery. Everyone in NASP has to shoot the provided Mathews genesis bows with fingers and no sight.

If your kid is already established in the sport with equipment. I highly recommend the 4H Sharpshooters. We had a 4H 10 year old female shooter randomly placed in our flight at the 3d shoot on Sunday. She shot a 263 from the youth stakes with no coaching from her parents. She won the shoot for her division, it was pretty impressive. I hope she does well in the county and state shoots.

If there isn't a 4h club in your county the other option is to take them to Ohio Archery Association shoots in the discipline they desire to shoot. For example indoor color face, blue face, safari, field, 3d fita...ect. The 4h sharpshooters attend the same shoots to qualify for county and state championships. The only difference is the 4h kids have the support and camaraderie of a team. However scores are recorded individually so if your kid isn't in 4H it is not a big disadvantage.

Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
Great to hear programs like that are still going strong.

Growing up, my dad had me and my sisters involved in similar programs. Great memories.

I hope one day I can 'push it forward' and volunteer some time to a similar program.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What does it take for a school to take on the program?

Honestly man I really don't know for certain. But I imagine you could find out anything you want to know about it on NASP's website. I think the biggest thing is getting the school's PE teacher interested.