Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Common Core?

teej89

NE PA
Alright so I was on Facebook and saw a post about Common Core standards for kids K-12. They posted a math problem and are they really trying to teach this to kids? Now I took my share of calc classes in college and I'm baffled. Anyone have any kids trying to learn this crap that could explain?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393893584.198064.jpg

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What? My grandson tried to show me something like that. And I thought WTF.

He also tried to show me how they were taught to add numbers. I didn't get it as they don't seem to carry the number over. Never thought it made much sense. And he's 18 with a 4.5 grade average.

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
I figured it out. But it's stupid. Basically it's saying if I have $42 and give you $8 how much do I have left. Well instead of doing 42-8 you're just adding how much you have left starting from 8. So $2+$5+$10+$10+$7=$34. I guess it's a different way of thinking but to teach kids that starting out I feel is dumb.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393895387.076514.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393895387.076514.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 55

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
They do it so the parents can't help. Gets them used to being dependant....

Look at the textbooks...many youtube videos showing the agenda behind the courses.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Don't get me started on CC. Yes this is my finger and yes this is my third graders math book. My sister teaches in Illinois and is all in. She says it teaches critical thinking. My kids are wired like me and they aren't grasping these abstract and confusing concepts. The good news is that people are waking up and taking notice.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393895703032.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393895703032.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 58

teej89

NE PA
Don't get me started on CC. Yes this is my finger and yes this is my third graders math book. My sister teaches in Illinois and is all in. She says it teaches critical thinking. My kids are wired like me and they aren't grasping these abstract and confusing concepts. The good news is that people are waking up and taking notice.

Lmao

Man who in the world thought that'd be a smart way to teach kids

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It is NOT good. The messed up way to teach them is part of a larger plan. I have seen some of this in my children's classes. When they are baffled and I show them the way I learned how to do it. . . .they understand quickly. Is it because I am some superior teacher? Absolutely not. I am far from a teacher. Same thing they want our educators to be. They don't want them to teach. they want them to follow instructions and make the kids follow the same ridiculous tasks which categorize them into little socialized molds.

hammerhead

tell me about it. It's sad when a 49 yr old father cant help his second grade boys do their homework. At the PT conference the teacher even said it was stupid. She said it's the system they use in Asia and they have a superior score when testing.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I figured it out. But it's stupid. Basically it's saying if I have $42 and give you $8 how much do I have left. Well instead of doing 42-8 you're just adding how much you have left starting from 8. So $2+$5+$10+$10+$7=$34. I guess it's a different way of thinking but to teach kids that starting out I feel is dumb.

OK now you have the correct answer of 34. But were in the hell did 2,5,10,10,7 come from?
Of course I'm good at numbers and just looking at 42-8 I knew it was 32. Dah

Back in the old days when I was a Manager of a Finance Company I could add a list of numbers up 3 numbers wide and never use a adding machine. Little out of practice now since retired.

Last edited:

Treed

Stark County
And that's why my kids are in a Montessori school. Common Core is intended to dumb down our kids and no matter what they say, discourage, not encourage "critical thinking." It's all part of the agenda to make us dumb, fat, lazy, and complacent. The new Amerika is shaping up to be a pretty shitty place. People need to wake up.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
tell me about it. It's sad when a 49 yr old father cant help his second grade boys do their homework. At the PT conference the teacher even said it was stupid. She said it's the system they use in Asia and they have a superior score when testing.

What they fail to incorporate into their equation is the amount of hours asian kids spend in the classroom and on homework. Totally different school structure. If not mistaken, I believe they go year round. Rather than a 3mo summer break where our kids lose momentum and it takes them a few weeks to get back into the swing of things, I was thinking the asian kids have year round school with 2-3 week breaks between quarters or whatever they call them. Doubt it is quarters. Probably 6ths or 8ths or someting. haha

Common Core is intended to dumb down our kids and no matter what they say, discourage, not encourage "critical thinking." It's all part of the agenda to make us dumb, fat, lazy, and complacent. The new Amerika is shaping up to be a pretty shitty place. People need to wake up.

Well said Treed. Pretty accurate in my opinion. In our house, my wife pushes the academics. I push free thinking, people skills, learning what cannot be taught in schools, and the entrepreneurial spirit. When the other kids can't figure out why their complacency, slothism, and failure to think outside the box isn't working. . . .hopefully my children will be well rounded in the art of creativity and making money. Not to say money is everything. It is not. Fitting into a mold and believing everything you are told is certainly NOT the way to succeed either though.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That has got to be the longest way around to find a simple answer! I understand the concept but c'mon! Time is money and most kids would have answered 10 of those math problems before one would have the time to write out just one equation this way!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Alright so I was on Facebook and saw a post about Common Core standards for kids K-12. They posted a math problem and are they really trying to teach this to kids? Now I took my share of calc classes in college and I'm baffled. Anyone have any kids trying to learn this crap that could explain?
View attachment 20019

I do OK at math, raised 3 engineers that are great in math. I really have no idea wtf this is. I heard a guy on the radio explain it as "10 based subtraction" where you subtract the 10s column first then the 1s (I assume 100s are first in a 3 digit #) I'll admit I often do that when I do subtraction in my head.

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
OK now you have the correct answer of 34. But were in the hell did 2,5,10,10,7 come from?
Of course I'm good at numbers and just looking at 42-8 I knew it was 32. Dah

Back in the old days when I was a Manager of a Finance Company I could add a list of numbers up 3 numbers wide and never use a adding machine. Little out of practice now since retired.

It doesn't matter what numbers you use to add back up to 42 as long as the final answer is 42. You're just counting back up. Like in the top left one I Did I started adding in decimal points, disregard I wrote 12+27=99 lol that's a typo. But it's all about getting back to the number you're subtracting from by starting with the amount you're initially taking away. I dunno I get the critical thinking part but I hope they not trying to actually teach math this way.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It doesn't matter what numbers you use to add back up to 42 as long as the final answer is 42. You're just counting back up. Like in the top left one I Did I started adding in decimal points, disregard I wrote 12+27=99 lol that's a typo. But it's all about getting back to the number you're subtracting from by starting with the amount you're initially taking away. I dunno I get the critical thinking part but I hope they not trying to actually teach math this way.

Oh I see now. But if the kid isn't advanced far enough to do a simple 42-8=34 how in the hell could they add the differant numbers up correctly to get to 34. WTF.