Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Miter Saws

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have several projects coming up that justify a miter saw and frankly, it is high time I get one. Just looking to see who has what. Doubt I can afford to throw more than $200-250 at one. The 15 amp 10 inch Rigid at Home Depot goes $200 and seems to be a solid unit. My dad has a Dewalt that set him back 5 bills, but I can't justify that. Just looking for something to make the occasionally needed cuts around the household, not to mention a few big projects.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Rigid makes a pretty good product IMO. For the price, they're tough to beat. Hard to go wrong there. That being said, craftsman has a lifetime warranty with their tools... Maybe that includes their miter saws??? It'd definitely be worth looking into.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Rigid makes a pretty good product IMO. For the price, they're tough to beat. Hard to go wrong there. That being said, craftsman has a lifetime warranty with their tools... Maybe that includes their miter saws??? It'd definitely be worth looking into.

Don't believe electric tools carry the Sears lifetime warranty.
Rigid are good tools for the money.
Our Dewalt is 18 yrs. old and used all the time. Like new quality still.

Huckleberry Finn

Damn Jimbo...craftsman hand tools only.

Jesse, Dad has the Craftsman. He's also sought to have the middle-level tools. Not the nicest DeWalt, but not the Harbor Freight edition either. It's served him well.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Damn Jimbo...craftsman hand tools only.

Jesse, Dad has the Craftsman. He's also sought to have the middle-level tools. Not the nicest DeWalt, but not the Harbor Freight edition either. It's served him well.

Yes, I was afraid of that. Oh well... Wishful thinking. Lol

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have a Rigid. It's junk. If you don't square off the blade on your 45 degree and/or straight cuts, it'll be off. The marks are off just enough to piss you off.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have plenty of ridged tools. Compressor, table saw, framing, finish, brand nailers and stapler, belt and rotary sander. Jigsaw. They had a lifetime parts and labor warranty when I bought them is the only reason I did. Haven't had a problem with them and I've remodeled about everything there is in this house. My miter is delta though and it's junk. Really any saw will do. Just make you a ring of miter cut templates. Take 6 inch scrap and square up the saw and make a the cut. Write on the scrap what the cut is and drill a hole through them to run a line through. Then when you need to make that cut slap the template on the saw deck. Adjust angle and miter and lock it in. No reading numbers or squaring it every time you make a cut. As the saw is set to the known good template. That'll save you TONS of cussing doing crown moulding. I did every door in my house this way with just pine stock.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393895890.459379.jpg

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Bosch Pro-series here

Works great and has been beat to death and still works. I am going to be buying new within a year and will be getting another Bosch or Dewalt.

Rigid may be in the running with great prices and a lifetime warranty...plus I get a discount.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have a Rigid. It's junk. If you don't square off the blade on your 45 degree and/or straight cuts, it'll be off. The marks are off just enough to piss you off.

Mike it has a lifetime warranty. They replaced my nailer no questions asked.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I have a Craftsman 12" compound sliding miter saw and it is a very nice saw! Kate bought it for me for Christmas last year, and I couldn't be happier with it. I believe she paid $300 for it. It will handle boards up to 16" wide.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I have a 10" Westward. Got it at Grainger. I am sure it is made buy some other major tool manufacturer. It does a great job but if I had to do it over I would get a sliding miter like what flutie has. There has been a handful of times that would have made my life a whole lot easier.

I have a Porter Cable 12" and there are many times where I've needed that extra couple inches to get through wider boards. Like Beener, you need to make sure you have the fencing on it that you will need. Some have cheap crap on them, the Porter Cable has machined aluminum and makes for more accurate cuts. It's running $179 at Lowes right now.

Something to consider too though, this one is heavy (you get what you pay for LOL)!! If you have a place to put it and keep it there that's the best route. Otherwise it can be a challenge to move it around at times.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm building a custom work bench to house the miter saw and my band sand. I have an old Craftsman band saw my dad bought at an auction years ago and passed on to me when he bought a new one. Going to be a nice little set up when I get it all done. The hard is just finding the time to work on it!