Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Milk Crate Modifications

I made some more modifications to the Milk Crate that I'm using for a multi-rod holder and tackle storage. Berkley makes these Triple Rod Holders and I purchased this one at a Dick's Sporting Goods for $12. I needed more rod holders. :smiley_blink:

This is especially for Huckleberry Finn to see, as he'd asked about the mods before.

Bowhunter57

Huckleberry Finn

$12, eh? I think that's cheaper than making one out of PVC. Looks real nice.

Hopefully I'll get to put mine together this coming weekend!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Steve, I will tell ya, I'd be careful with the milk crate rod holders. Stationary rod holders can be in the way when it comes to casting. I like to lay my rear rod holders down almost flat to keep from snagging them. Just my opinion though, vertical rod holders would get in my way.

Huckleberry Finn

Steve, I will tell ya, I'd be careful with the milk crate rod holders. Stationary rod holders can be in the way when it comes to casting. I like to lay my rear rod holders down almost flat to keep from snagging them. Just my opinion though, vertical rod holders would get in my way.

Thanks for the advice - I think I'm going to try to combine a few little boxes into a milk crate and some odds and ends maybe moreso than holding rods, with the exception of a collapsible rod that wouldn't stick up.

Fluteman makes a valid point. If you install the individual rod holders on the side of the milk crate and angle them backwards, you could avoid this issue...somewhat. Even so, they'll still stick up some, but not nearly as bad as the vertical ones that I have.

I troll a lot, so this isn't an issue for me. When I do some casting, it's with a gentle side arm motion and I'm very aware of the rods in the rod holders. I don't think it's as important or as necessary to cast a long distance, compared to fishing from the bank. Perhaps this is why I've not had a tangle event while casting.

Bowhunter57