Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bow hunting Turkey - Head shot or body shot?

runhunter

Cotty, I prefer the head shot because of a few reasons. With a 4" cutting diameter, it's usually a clean miss or a cut the legs out, kick once and done haha. Really no in between there. Not to mention, the thrill of turkey hunting for me, is getting them in close. At 10 or 15 yards, hitting a moving area, with the 4" margin, isn't easy, but it's possible. It presents a nice challenge. Just have to read the body language, wait til he pops his head up, and zippppp. I usually drop my bow weight a tad, just so I can hold much longer if necessary, waiting for that right moment.

Body shot they usually run off a ways. Can be tough to find them if it's thick where they head to. The only shots I've taken w/ archery equipment has been into the body though. Come straight up the legs on the side of the bird and where the end of the big band of feathers on the wing meets that is where we've hit them. That's where I'd recommend if using the ST's.

Kaiser878

ohio
I've shot them both ways. I dont use the large turkey heads like the guillotine though. I just use my rages. Although if I shoot.in the body I shoot them in the hips. They drop and don't run off. Also it doesn't ruin breast meat. If you shoot a turkey where.the vitals are u hit.the breast, especially if head on. But if.body shooting turkeys I go for the hips

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I never tried to shoot one in the head. If I ever bowhunt them again, I'll shoot for their neck, specifically at the base of the neck. That area doesn't bob around like their head does, and would be just as lethal. MR James is a turkey hunting fanatic. I've seen him on TV suggesting the standard kill zone shots/angles. However, he told me privately that he always shoots for their head. Its either instantly fatal, or no harm done. He usues a regualr old Phantom broadhead too (pre-muzzy). You've been hunting a long time, I'm sure you're plenty good enough to hit them wherever you choose. Besides, the neck is a much more defined target than the lungs...and dang near as big!