Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best Broadhead for Turkey

A few years ago I asked the same question and many recommended using the same head I would use for deer, only with dull blades. That year I shot a jake using a Thunderhead 100 and the arrow stayed in the bird like I had hoped. Now using Slick Tricks I would do the same if given the opportunity, problem is the damn blades on my practice heads are still pretty friggin sharp! We had a pack of American Broadheads Turkey Tearrors that we used with the crossbow last year and they did great but I'd be afraid you wouldn't get much penetration using a compound. They barely made it through the 2 turkeys we shot last year, both shots at 15 yards using the crossbow.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Using the bow will definitely test your patients. If your hunting with your dad you'll definitely get a great chance to stick one and then your hooked.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Never hunted the burgers with a bow but if I ever did I would use the "biggest cut on impact" broad head my bow would shoot!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have to preface with the fact I've never used them, but I think the Magnus Bullhead would be the way to go. I'd use the smaller of the two available so you can shoot them in the body if you choose to.

I've shot quite a few turkeys with a bow. It was the only way I'd hunt them for probably a decade. Having been there and done that, I recommend 3" out of a 12 bore too. Turkeys are not hard to get a shot at, they are hard to find! Good luck, it is a lot of fun, and the Bullheads may be the ticket to getting it done quick and easy.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm refreshing this thread because I have a Cabelas giftcard to use and was thinking about buying the Magnus Bullhead broadheads that Brock suggested.

Before I purchase the Bullheads, anyone have any feedback on them? Or does anyone have a different broadhead they recommend for turkey?

I'm a slick trick fan for deer, but some of these heads that are more designed for turkey are intriguing.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I'm refreshing this thread because I have a Cabelas giftcard to use and was thinking about buying the Magnus Bullhead broadheads that Brock suggested.

Before I purchase the Bullheads, anyone have any feedback on them? Or does anyone have a different broadhead they recommend for turkey?

I'm a slick trick fan for deer, but some of these heads that are more designed for turkey are intriguing.

Federal 5s! lol I have the utmost respect for guys that hunt them with a bow. I just like making sure they are DEAD and save my archery hunting for the fall.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
After some research on the Bullheads, I found out that they will only fly right with 4 vaned arrahs and a lot of tweaking to my setup. Fugg that!

A friend of mine is working on getting some Dead Ringers from a rep. Hopefully that comes through and I can give them a whirl. The reviews are better on them as far as flying like field tips.

freeboro

I've only ever shot 1 bird with a bow and took it with a NAP Gobbler Getter which is a 3-blade Spitfire with a blunt tip to break bones. It blew right through him and knocked him down but he took off running and made it probably 40 yards before I found him. He was incapacitated but I put another in him for insurance.