Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Should we get a puppy?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Our neighbors took in a rescued female Golden Retriever. It turned out that she was pregnant and ended up delivering twelve puppies. Two of the twelve were still born. It is obvious by looking at the variety of features seen in the puppies that she was bred by multiple males while in the care of the pound. I have said many times that I would never get a dog, but why shouldn't I? My wife and I are on the fence and the boys are off the fence and ready to have one move in, right now. What about my 14 year old cat? I love that cat.

I think this puppy, Lola, has a Lab father. She is so mellow. What do you think? Convince me either way of why or why not!

IMG_20140226_181701_727.jpgIMG_20140226_181706_478.jpg

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
The cat doesn't matter, especially if it still has claws. Even if your cat has been de-clawed, it will immediately put the pup in its place and will forever be the boss no matter how big the dog gets.

All kids should have the opportunity to grow up with a dog. Really. It teaches them responsibility and a whole different side to loving something.

Get the pup!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The cat doesn't matter, especially if it still has claws. Even if your cat has been de-clawed, it will immediately put the pup in its place and will forever be the boss no matter how big the dog gets.

All kids should have the opportunity to grow up with a dog. Really. It teaches them responsibility and a whole different side to loving something.

Get the pup!

What Diane said.

Wayne is right also, mutts often make the best dog and you got two great breeds making what will most likely be a very smart dog. Only caution being it could either be very hyper and/or want to chew. Give him an antler early and make that his chew toy. Limit what they can chew to a few toys, and it will help save you trouble down the road. If you have some space for him to run, the boys will take care of wearing off some of his energy! And as Diana said, kids should have a dog. There is a reason they are considered man's best friend!!!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Pro's outweigh the con's IMO. My best advice is to make the dog a true member of the family to where you can take her along on trips and whatnot. It's always fun when there puppies for the family. Just be like me and expect to be the one to take care of it full time, that way when some else does, it's a pleasant surprise:smile: The negatives are hair shedding. That dog appears that it will produce enough shed hair on a daily basis to weave a Persian rug. If you don't have a top notch sweeper like a dyson to get into every crack, it's a must.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Was in the same boat mike and I cannot tell you how important Lucy is to my family. I have had dogs all my life mostly but they were in a kennel outside so an inside dog was a huge step for me. So glad I did it and especially from where she came from. We also have a cat that is 12 and is my wife and i's first baby(we almost weren't able to have kids). It took a bit but the cat kicked her azz and that's it now no issuea

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Im sorta in the same boat, my boy wants a dog but we're never home. We constantly run every weekend and week night to ball practice and games. If I were to get one it would not be a puppy.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio

Get the pup!

Dogs make the best family members....always loyal and have your back. But, be patient, there are growing pains with a pup.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Im sorta in the same boat, my boy wants a dog but we're never home. We constantly run every weekend and week night to ball practice and games. If I were to get one it would not be a puppy.

Adorable pup and sounds like a great "mutt" mix. That said, I am thinking your boys are at that busy age range. A 1-2yr old dog from the pound might be a better fit. If your wife is home daily it makes a difference, but I was thinking she worked days. Kennel training from day one would be a must. All I am saying is: Puppies are a LOT of work that first week, month, 6 months, year, and sometimes longer. I am not sure I will ever get a puppy again. The reason our last 4 dogs have been 1-2yrs old is because the first dog I got was a pup. His personality was not the most desirable. With a 1-2yr old dog you can get a feel for how hyper they are, if they are chewers, barkers, etc.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I guess it just depends on where you are at in life. We lost our lab of 13 years about 10 months ago. The rest of the family is ready for a new family member, but I am not. With two boys, 9 and 10.5, we are on the go constantly. I'm just not ready to break in a new dog and it would be at home alone quite a bit. In my eyes it wouldn't be fair to the dog. I do think we will ave another dog at some point, but the timing has to be right.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Good advice so far. Get it, be patient. One caveat is that if you won't have time to spend with it I would wait. You can easily see dogs that get attention and ones that don't.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
With a 1-2yr old dog you can get a feel for how hyper they are, if they are chewers, barkers, etc.

This is almost impossible to determine from a visit or two with them at the pound. True personalities do not show up until after they are brought home.

With kids involved, I'd only feel safe going with a puppy. Don't have to worry about aggression issues that weren't noticed when you picked out the dog.