Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Marriage

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Neither. It is not a "Right" because our law of the land (Nationally) doesn't say so. Neither is it a "Privilege" like driving because of it holds more meaning for most. Tough subject.

I think .gov should stay out of marriage. Hard to reverse course now. If they were not giving tax breaks and the like to married couples then we could just leave it up to the States and be done. The gay agenda doesn't want it to be strictly a State issue because after many times trying in 39 States it has only passed and held in 3 instances.

I frankly don't care if gays marry. Just like I don't care if adulterers marry. Or if murderers marry. Etc...

Not my place to judge but I will not support it in any way.

I have met, worked with and have gay family members. Each one has had a very suspect childhood.

The basis for our laws come from "natural laws" and Christianity. We are moving away from what is natural to be all things to all people.

Gay marriage? Polygamy? Marrying a child? Marrying an animal? Marrying an inanimate object?

Whatever. Not a marriage TOO me.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The government should stay out of it. This includes not only marriage but also tax breaks and filing status for married couples. Your tax status should not be based on the status of your relationship. While we are a country founded on Christian values we are also a country free as individuals to practice a religion or lack there of of our choice. The government has no more right to base the definition of marriage on Christian beliefs than they do to banning the eating of meat on the basis of Hindu beliefs. We as "Christians" have no more a right to force our beliefs on any person, especially in America as it stands against the very values we founded the country on.

Gordo

Athens County
The government should stay out of it. This includes not only marriage but also tax breaks and filing status for married couples. Your tax status should not be based on the status of your relationship. While we are a country founded on Christian values we are also a country free as individuals to practice a religion or lack there of of our choice. The government has no more right to base the definition of marriage on Christian beliefs than they do to banning the eating of meat on the basis of Hindu beliefs. We as "Christians" have no more a right to force our beliefs on any person, especially in America as it stands against the very values we founded the country on.

Spot on

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Joe so if we do away with the tax advantages for married couples same sex marriages wouldn't be an issue since no ones being discriminated???

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't like it. Don't agree with it. Not my place to judge. Let them have that conversation with God someday. While we are here on Earth? Give them some equal rights only because it is the US and we shouldn't discriminate. As a Christian who is married? I simply ask they come up with a different name for it. Leave "Marriage" for a man and a woman.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

What he said. And I'm with Beaner, I could care less if gays marry. At least their divorce rate isn't 50%... :smiley_blackeye:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Marriage historically was a religious institution. As government became more and more entwined in our lives the government bestowed certain rights to married couples ie tax breaks, sharing health insurance and retirement benefits, ability to make decisions for each other, inheritance. I Understand why people want the same perks that government has bestow on heterosexual couples.

However where does this end? If 2 people can take advantage of these perks why not 3 or more? What about other limitations we have based on kinship or age?

It just seems like society is swirling faster and faster around the drain...

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio

Yeah that. I would add that based on the status quo if they do allow gay marriage then applicable divorce laws apply to. Let's see how much they like it when half their shit gets taken from them.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Marriage historically was a religious institution. As government became more and more entwined in our lives the government bestowed certain rights to married couples ie tax breaks, sharing health insurance and retirement benefits, ability to make decisions for each other, inheritance. I Understand why people want the same perks that government has bestow on heterosexual couples.

However where does this end? If 2 people can take advantage of these perks why not 3 or more? What about other limitations we have based on kinship or age?

It just seems like society is swirling faster and faster around the drain...
Agreed!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah that. I would add that based on the status quo if they do allow gay marriage then applicable divorce laws apply to. Let's see how much they like it when half their shit gets taken from them.

They do actually. Recently in the news there were these two women in Mississippi who went to California and got married. Shit didn't work out so they tried to file for divorce in Mississippi. The state of Mississippi said we can divorce you we don't even recognize your marriage. You're going to have to go back to California. The state of California said we can't divorce you because we have no judicial power over your communal property in the state of Mississippi.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I couldnt care less what or who people do in their own time. I used to be like Phil and wished they would call it something different. But anymore, it doesnt bother me what they choose to call it. It isnt my business, nor should it be anyone elses. I dont like anyone infringing on my rights, so why should we infinge on theirs because it's against our religion. So to answer the original poster's question, I feel that it should be their right.