Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Slate and box calls

teej89

NE PA
Alright so I'm looking at investing in a new slate and box call this year. What would you guys suggest?

Currently I have the HS Lil strut and the power crystal.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

For the slate: Keystone Powerwedge: http://keystonecalls.com/products.php $48 I have the walnut and slate call with the rosewood striker. I've also used the mini-wedge with glass or ceramic (Hoyt's). Both are very nice and sound great.

For the box: Lynch World Champion. $45

That's $100 on turkey calls, but I'll never need another one. I usually buy a mouth call or two each spring but sound like a chicken being boiled, not a turkey.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Current slate call is a Down N Dirty Soul Crusher. Best call I have personally worked for subtle clucks and purrs. I really liked using it last year.

I've had a Primos Double Box Cutter box call for a few years now. All I do is long range yelps and I will cut on it occasionally. A box call is one of those optional calls IMO.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I use a Cody Woodsman slate and a Cody II glass, they both are easy to use and are both well made, I have a Lynch box call in my vest but I really like the Woodhaven Real Hen Cherry box. It all depends on what your ear likes the most. Cabala's usually has a great assortment of friction calls that you can pick up and play with and see what sounds best to you and is easy to use. Good luck this spring.

teej89

NE PA
Thanks for the input guys! And I'm not a huge fan of the glass calls cuz later in the season or if I'm just hoofing it around and my hands get a lil sweaty and that gets on the glass it's useless then. I've used a glass for a while and wanted to pick up a slate too. and The box call I have the walls on it are so thin I'm not a huge fan of the sound it produces especially when trying to make long range calls. I'll check these calls out, thanks again!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I appreciate the thought you guys put into your calls. I honestly do not have a clue what I use, but they sound sorta like a turkey. :) I do have a Lynch, but only remember that because it was the first box call I ever bought!