Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snowmobile Driver vs Female Moose

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yeah, that sucked ass! Maybe try shooting at the ground in front of it or up in the air first, but dang put one in the brain pan and end the suffering as you drive by it! Geesh

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
He could have let it keep walking. Not like he didn't have the upper hand with what I assume was a .40 or .45 and possibly self defense rounds. The dick part of it was not finishing him off (looked like a shed bull to me) and then just leaving him there. Take the meat. Guy is probably a dick...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hindsight is always 20/20 but in the heat of the moment I'd of probably done the same thing.... 1200 lbs vs 200??? Error on the side of caution and empty the fuggin gun into him and take my punches with the law.... At that moment when it first came at him I'd of dropped him.... Or at least tried.....

After watching it and seeing it from the cameras perspective then yes I'd of passed on it and used the sled too my advantage.....

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm willing to bet we're not seeing the whole video. Just the same, it does appear he had ample time to assess the situation. You would want to think that as a precaution, it would have been wise to just back out. His actions make me believe that he was determined to continue in that direction no matter what. Having that gun on board also makes me believe to think that he felt empowered to use it & claim self defense no matter how minimal the threat was. If he had a hoof print embedded in his helmet, that may be different. With that said, I wasn't there. Just the same, he exacerbated the situation, so he's still a fucker.

Saw this over on another forum and I'll say the same thing, the moment he pulled the trigger I say he had no reason to shoot. This guy obviously was out to make a close encounter video as he turns it on before venturing closer....making what ever kind of friggin noises he was making. I think the moose interpreted that as either a predator or some other moose or something. The first time when he yelled at it the thing stopped. Simply put he should have kept yelling and yelling more than "whoa whoa whoa", instead he ventured a little more with his snowmobile and the moose thought of that as a threat and charged. When he shot the first shot the thing wasn't facing him and he could have/should have yelled more and maybe shot nearby. Instead he decided to kill it there.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
It seemed to me as tho he was trying to get its attention at the start so he could get some good video. He actually got even closer like to encourage it to do something. I feel he got what he asked for and when he tried to protect himself he should have finished the job.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Not cool. He could've left it alone and either went back or waited/went around it. He pretty much provoked it and then shot it from what I saw.

rsmith

Not just at all. Got a little to trigger happy to quick, I wasn't their like stated above and wouldn't know what I would do in the situation but I know if I did shoot it I would at least make sure I killed it so it doesn't suffer

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hmm.
He tried to scare it away by shouting at it.
The moose did come onto his snowmobile and attack him.
Then the moose started to come back for a possible 2nd attack.
I'd be scared shitless at that point.
What would we really do?
If that was a armed man that attacked you then coming back for a possible 2nd attack what would we do? Same thing?

As far as leaving the moose lay there. I think he just wanted to get away after a terrifying event.
What really happened after the shooting?
What the ending story? Was he charged? Did he safe the meat? He did post a video of the whole event.

I just wonder what's the whole story.

Last edited:

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's just it, we don't know. I doubt a park ranger would leave it lay there like that, but ya never know. Reminds me of a court case. You hear one side of the story & form an opinion of what looks so obvious, before the defense has a chance to speak up.