Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

JHP pistol ammo insight needed.

I keep a GenIII Glock23 around as go to home defense pistol.I have always kept it at the ready with Winchester USA(whitebox) 40s&W JHP.I am confident in the guns reliability with this ammo.I have shot all kinds of FMJ through it with never a issue and have had zero issues with the JHP listed above.It an Ranger T are the only defense rounds I have ever shot through it.

My question is would I gain anything by going to a different defense ammo?Im really not thinking of the more costly defense rounds.But something like Golden Saber maybe?

Thoughts an opinions?

Last edited:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I think the only gain by going to carry rounds are that the case mouths and primer pockets are sealed so no oil can get to the powder and the cases are nickle plated for better feeding. If the round you use work i would stick with them but just change them out every couple months. A glock can be ran pretty dry so its probally not going to be a issue but for a 1911 guy that likes a lot of lube it could be.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Sabers do about everything better but don't know if the differences are worth the cost for you. They expand better, penetrate deeper and are just a better made round. Here is a video of the GS's in action.

http://youtu.be/PtbUN48umuA

The WWB is a GREAT round for the price and availability. They are a bit inconsistent with chrono variations and expansion rates but still do the job just fine. They had a good showing for this test...

http://youtu.be/ZBi9t7S0Fpg

If I were buying new I would go Golden Sabre (that along with Gold Dots and Hornady Critical defense are what I carry). If I already had WWB's I would just use them.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What everyone already said. A good hit with any of the mentioned rounds will get the job done.
For liability reasons always carry factory loads for CCW and never use reloads. Also advised by the NRA legal Dept.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
What everyone already said. A good hit with any of the mentioned rounds will get the job done.
For liability reasons always carry factory loads for CCW and never use reloads. Also advised by the NRA legal Dept.

Myself also.

Sabers do about everything better but don't know if the differences are worth the cost for you. They expand better, penetrate deeper and are just a better made round. Here is a video of the GS's in action.

http://youtu.be/PtbUN48umuA

The WWB is a GREAT round for the price and availability. They are a bit inconsistent with chrono variations and expansion rates but still do the job just fine. They had a good showing for this test...

http://youtu.be/ZBi9t7S0Fpg

If I were buying new I would go Golden Sabre (that along with Gold Dots and Hornady Critical defense are what I carry). If I already had WWB's I would just use them.
Thanks for the video links!!.I bought my first pistol a little over a year ago.I wanted a Glock in 9mm(model 17 preferably).But I got a deal from a buddy on this compact 40 s&w Glock23..It came with 2 old (AWB era) 13rd mags and 2 15rd mag,night sights an 150rds of WWB JHP for what I felt was a great price.I put about 100rds of them though it an they ran fine.So I have stuck with them.My only concern on switching rounds for home defense is wondering how many I need to run through it before I trust my life to that round in that gun?.The wwb jhp is 28$ out the door locally for a 50rd box.At that price it would be my backup SHTF ammo regardless.
I carry either critical defense or hornady hst in my ccws.
Would my ammo choice vary since I do no CCW? I have heard good about both rounds you mentioned

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
You really just need a high-quality self defense round that's been out for awhile whether you carry in public or it stays in the house. Then make sure it runs in your pistol. Another advantage to the nickel plated cases is they don't get corroded like brass does from handling them so they last longer. Can't go wrong with speer gold dots or hornady critical defense. Both are good, effective rounds from good companies and have nickel plated cases and are both around the same price (about $1/round). The gold dots are carried by a lot of Law enforcement agencies so they give me just a little extra confidence.