Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1st food plot recommendation

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I will be planting my 1st food plot this coming spring. I know in general how to do it with lime and fertilizer and killing the weeds. The problem I'm having is choosing a plot mix. There are so many out there that pretty much promise big bucks and strong deer attractant. A little about the property I hunt, it's roughly 150 acres and this year about 80 acres will be soy beans, 40acre woods and 10 acre random field. Looking to do either 1 or 2 half acre plots. So please any suggestions on what I should try or any experiences you all have had would be much appreciated.

Gordo

Athens County
Anyway you can talk the farmer into leaving a patch of soybeans standing for you? From what i hear, it doesnt get much better then that for late season.

Im in your same boat . Trying to figure out what to plant

Strother23

Columbus, OH
The framer normally leave the crops up as long as possible but I'm wanting to plant something in the spring to help with the fawns growth and antler development through the summer.

Gordo

Athens County
Got ya. I was thinking of doing spring plantings, but everything ive read has kind of turned me off to the idea.

If i do due a spring planting, it 'll be something to help condition the soil for my fall planting.

Other guys with actual experience should chime in shortly .

Spring planting you are talking mostly clover, alfalfa, etc.. Many will warn you about the weed problems you will encounter through the rest of the summer and they are right. Be prepared to get in there to mow once in a while and occasionally may have to spray with one of the grass killers out there that won't kill the clover.

Buckmaster

Portage
Something that lasts into the winter and stays green for as long as possible. With beans already going in you have it made.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Yea the 2 mixes I was considering was the Tecomate Monster Mix or the Antler King Redzone. But nothing has been bought yet so I'm still trying to do research.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Something that lasts into the winter and stays green for as long as possible. With beans already going in you have it made.

This. I wouldn't waste time spring planting, but it is a good time to work up the ground and get the lime/fertilizer per the soil test. Spring browse is a very good food source for deer. Whitetails eat something like 200-300 different kinds of plants, so there is amble amounts of food for them when things start to warm up. Once the beans are up, they will carry them through summer. The Drury brothers started preaching "green to green" a few years back and I think it is a great strategy. You have a good chance to plant a hearty fall mix in mid-July that will carry them once the beans turn and the weather worsens. I use Merit Seed out of Berlin, Ohio. They have a great catalog you can get, will do custom blends, and are great to deal with. My blend include winter wheat, oats, Austrian winter peas, turnips, and a splash of clover. Similar commercial blends are available, but I prefer to buy local and know what I am getting; i.e. no fillers. A hearty blend of brassicas or other tubers is also a great option. The groundhog raddish from Merit Seed is amazing! That'll get them through and provides tons of leafy greens. This was my larger plot last year. Little heavy on the radish for my liking, but we will tweak that this year.

That's a 31" ATA bow...

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Wow.. Very impressive plot. Thanks for the advice. Il prolly just do a fall one considering that there will be soybeans out from the farmer already. And I would love to buy local seed and not the commercial brands. Berlin Ohio is a good 2+ hr drive for me so I doubt I can go there. Does anyone know of seed stores in the central Ohio area. I located just south of columbus. I'm struggling to find seed store locations online. Thanks for all the help

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Wow.. Very impressive plot. Thanks for the advice. Il prolly just do a fall one considering that there will be soybeans out from the farmer already. And I would love to buy local seed and not the commercial brands. Berlin Ohio is a good 2+ hr drive for me so I doubt I can go there. Does anyone know of seed stores in the central Ohio area. I located just south of columbus. I'm struggling to find seed store locations online. Thanks for all the help

There is a merit seed dealer in ostrander ohio I think.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Berlin is only 30 minutes from me. I can pick some up for you as I will be going there in the summer for seed anyway.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Find a local farmers co-op and you'll find what you need. Jesse's mix is a good one. I like a mix of winter rye, oats, radishes, winter peas, and clover. The deer hammer it from September all through November. Plant in late summer. Dont waste your time on a spring plot.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Find a local farmers co-op and you'll find what you need. Jesse's mix is a good one. I like a mix of winter rye, oats, radishes, winter peas, and clover. The deer hammer it from September all through November. Plant in late summer. Dont waste your time on a spring plot.

I just tweaked what you gave me. I'm glad I went the same route you did as I was very pleased with how it grew. After years of fooling with blends, I now have something I can rely on.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm going with a fall plot this year. I planted 2 spring plots last year. They turned out good but I want something that gets the deer coming in the later months.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I would discourage you from ordering seedlings from the swcd's honestly. There are way better trees cheaper and bigger than what they provide.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
there is a lot in that question and it all depends on when and where...if you like sheds and early kills on does is RR soybeans. if its later season and early rut, turnips and BF oats. clover always generally....some years are good and some are bad depending on acorn crop and cover