Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Got me

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Ok fellas. Need some input from you trapping vets out there. Looks like I had one and he broke out. What do you guys think?
See if I can get pics to upload

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
20140224_105200_zps0b209a58.jpg

20140224_105232_zps1b51d42a.jpg

20140224_105245_zpsb2227aa3.jpg

Didn't have my shovel to see if the anchor was still in the ground but it looks like it may have bit the cable off just below the loop to the anchor. Not a drip of blood so I'm pretty sure nobody shot and took it. It trashed everything in the area it could reach including a few pieces of wood and a couple small trees. Chewer for sure.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The first pic if you look real close by the dark patch of dirt near that small log, that is where the anchor was and you can still see the wire hanger for the snare to attach to.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Dayuummm.....looks like you need a bigger boat...I mean cable!! His nickname should be Jaws tho!!! :smiley_baby:

I couldn't believe it when I seen it lol. Chewed up everything around him and still managed not to pull hard enough to cut himself in half with that cable getting tighter as it pulled. Thought for sure I would find some hair or blood or something. NOTTA nothing but what you see in the pics. Completely dumbfounded here.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
He must have got in that snare last evening after dark. I checked it yesterday morning and it was fine. If he got in there early enough in the evening he would have had all night to chew out of there without anybody finding him. I doubt he went far given the amount of energy it took to do what he did. I am heading back out in a few minutes to dig up the anchor and see what he took off with. Looks like the entire snare and about 2-3" of the anchor lead.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
securedownload[2] (28).jpgYep probably chewed out or broke it. Were you using a split ring to connect your stake and snare as a bigger yote can strip them out if so use 2 split rings. You will just get some that will chew the crap out of anything and some are more passive and never chew. Had four get out this year. Sucks but it does happen . The longer they are caught the more time they have to chew out so it is better if you can check them the first few hours of daylight if you can. Also helps a lot if you can set them where they can get wrapped up around a tree or something but realize that's not always possible.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Also they seem to do fine after they get loose as I had one get out and this pic was two days later and you can see the snare dragging in the snow beside his tracks, Followed them a ways and you could see where he was digging for mice. LOLsecuredownload[2] (29).jpg

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Went back and dug around to find nothing. Couldn't find the anchor so not sure if he broke the cable out of the feral leaving the anchor or if the entire thing pulled out. Soooo much mud after I got down about 6-8" it wasn't funny. Would have thought the ground would have been more solid then that. I could take the metal detector or and know for sure but I don't know that I will lol. I am curious but not that curious lol.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Probably pulled the whole thing out of the mud. I use pogo stakes and have medium and large washers. I use the large for softer ground and the cable is longer also. Next season I am going to switch to 1x19 3/32 snares instead of the standard 7x7 3/32 as it is stronger and hopefully will have fewer to no chewouts.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Going to make my own anchors next season. This was my learning season and I have learned I don't like these anchors I have lol. Need a stiffer more solid anchor and ones I have put together myself so I can have a little more faith they won't pull out of the ferrules near the anchor like I have had a couple do already. They told me to smash the ferrules a little tighter with a hammer and I did that but I still don't have very much faith in them. I had a feeling in my gut that told me if I got hooked up with a good size yote this would happen and sure enough it did.

The style of anchor is fine but I just need a thicker metal and longer shanks to dig in for holding power. I would also like to get longer cable so I can put them in deeper then the 12" these are being put in. Would like to go to the 18" for next year I think. The yote I have seen out there is pretty good size and would probably go mid 40's or close to 50# and stocky. Surely is not an ankle biter lol.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Adam I put an anchor in the ground that the snare shop makes and I pulled it out easily in this ground. I drove it at and angle and then it finally bit.

Kaiser878

ohio
I will be making a permanant.change to super stakes next year.I made the switch about a month ago and will never look back. The driving tool slides down in the anchor a good 1.5-2 inches and will push rt through small rocks. The anchor itself is hard steel tube that will not bend or slip.

On my #2s I will have the super stakes with machine link chain, not cable. Chain doesn't have aluminum ferrules that slip and let.loose. plus it will eliminate me having to put new cable stakes on traps. They will be permanant fixtures to the trap..... this way all I have to do is hook them to a stake puller and yank em out.

Not sure if I will put them on my fox traps(bridger 1.65). Although they are 4 coiled, laminated and base plated....because coyotes.find their way in them from time to time