Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Adams, Brown, Highland sheds ?

Medicine Man

Just wondering what percent of bucks might still be holding ? I will visit myfarm during first week of March and since I am new to area not sure what to expect.,,,thanks

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Probably still packing there. You should find some when you go to your farm by then, IMO. I'd say at least 60-80% have shed by the end of March.
Good luck

Medicine Man

Wow...was hoping with the cold weather that more would have shed. So if I get there on the 9th of March do you guys think maybe only halh of the bucks will have shed ? ...Also, how much snow is on ground at present ?.....thanks

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
IMO, it will be late enough to hit the brush and wade through bedding areas, to hunt sheds on your property or hunting area. Most of the bucks should have shed by mid March. Good luck!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I heard somewhere in Ohio if not most of the state might be getting another friggin snow storm next week as well........I hope I heard wrong:-(

Medicine Man

Some friends of mine own farms in Iowa. Despite one of the coldest winters in recent memory a surprising number of bucks are still carrying. Some think only 50-60 % have shed. Most folks thought that this year the severe cold/ stress would have resulted in earlier shedding. Doesn't seem to be the case.......hard to figure !

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yep, I agree. There is no rhyme or reason,
When it comes to shed season.

Back in the mid 2000's I walked a metro park in the Cincy area on March 21 or 22 and jumped a bachelor group of bucks(6-7+) and they all still had both sides. There was also a lot of fresh rubs and scrapes in the area as well.

I can think of several other instances where I jumped 5-6 bucks carrying both sides into early and mid March.