Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Home Brew Thread

Buckmaster

Portage
So, here it is......

Since some of us are into brewing our favorite beverages you can post your up's, down's, challenges, successes, and recipes here.

Left to Right....in 5 gallon carboys......Strawberry, Vincent, Foch, Delaware.

My plan is bottle by June and enter a bottle of each in a wine making contest. My reds have taken first place in past history. The strawberry is new to me this year.

Attachments

• Strawberries.jpg
    Strawberries.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 213
  • Must.jpg
    Must.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 178
  • Wine Making.jpg
    Wine Making.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 230

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i dont have any real good pics..

Have brewed

Black IPA
Some other IPA cant remember...
European Bock
Pumpkin Spice porter
Red Ale (too many time to count)
Summer Ale (twice... it was a hot summer)
Oktoberfest (awesome beer)
there are others but im drawing a blank.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
This thread really interest's me. Our secretary used to make wine and has promised to show me the ins and outs of it. I also have a home beer making kit still in the box that the inlaws bought me for Xmas about 8 years ago. My wife always ask's me when Im gonna try it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I want to try my hand at this one of these days. Oktoberfest, Amber Lagers, and fruit based wheat beers are my loves. To make some of my own would be awesome!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I've got a Dark Winter Ale and American Porter bottled. Starting an Irish Stout this weekend.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
need to update my list

sierra madre (twice... its excellent)
Robust porter

DXT

I too make my own wine. My peach and cherry were awesome this year. It will be fruit picking time will be around the corner can't wait for this snow weather to leave. Fresh picked fruit is best for wine making. Here was last summers peach working.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392824569.735808.jpg

Huckleberry Finn

I just like drinking...Milo's summer ale was damn good and I'd put it against Lienie's...and I've gotten that crazy wine drunk from Buckmaster's wine...damn...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I just like drinking...Milo's summer ale was damn good and I'd put it against Lienie's...and I've gotten that crazy wine drunk from Buckmaster's wine...damn...

I got a new one to try on ya huck! Your gonna like this one. May brew it in a month

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I am just really getting started. There is still a few pieces of equipment I need to pick up for the fermentation process and for kegging. I did score a free corny keg a little over a month ago, just need to clean and sanitize real well, and put new o rings on it.

Here is a picture of the brew system that I helped a buddy build over the winter. With this setup we could both do a 10 gallon batch at the same time.
uploadfromtaptalk1392866708053.jpg

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Looks interesting Hoyt. I will be surprised if that paint is one there after your second batch.

Best beer kettle for the money - Sankey keg cut off.keg about 30 bucks

If doing extract brewing you can use a smaller 3 gallon pot with caution... When the hops hit the boiling wort, you better be stirring A lot. It's best to size the pot with the size of you wort chiller.

Gordo

Athens County
You guys should come down to Athens for brew week. You'd be in beer heaven. If you wanted to, you could add your best beer into one of the. 'Home brew' tastings. Those are a fuggin hoot. Usually ends in some form of debauchery.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
American Porter.
Good not great. Tastes like an Eastern European Porter. Sweet and pruny.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393791929026.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393791929026.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 222

Milo

Tatonka guide.
coming up really soon

Falconers flight IPA
Black IPA
Irish Stout...

about 2 weeks and its bottle cap poppin time

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wine only maker here. Haven't for couple years. but I got enough canned blueberry pie filling for 20 gallons. Just waiting for warmer weather.
I'll dig out my simple wine making book. Nothing really to just need correct easy instructions.

There's a easy way to remove the commercial preservatives from canned fruits. Just put the canned fruit in a big pan with your water and raise the heat for about 20 minutes until just below boiling and the preservative will steam off just like in moonshining. Just don't boil it. Then take a cup or so and put some yeast in it and if its working the next day it's good to go. Works every time for me.