Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

BSA Sweet 17 scope

Ricer2231

I have a cheaper Bushnell Sportsman 3-9x40 on my Savage 17 I just got and I am wanting to upgrade. I am leaning towards the BSA Sweet 17. Do any of y'all have any experience with it? Have you heard any pros and cons about it? I did hear they had some problems with them a few years back but they worked that out and are considered to be one of the better 17 scopes out there now. Is there a different scope you would recommend for around the same money? Here's a link to the scope.
http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?productID=41

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have one on my Savage. You won't regret the purchase. She's a tack driver and with the Remington V-Tips I'm not afraid of 250+ yard shots.

Ricer2231

I know this appears as a stupid question but I don't know. What type of base is this? Weaver type or dovetail? If I decide to order the BSA scope I can get rings with it for another $5.00.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392473227.396316.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392473241.522889.jpg

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I'm not 100% sure but I think that is a weaver. I'm not a big rifle guy but both of my scope mounts are similar and I think the package said weaver.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks like what they call Weaver style to me.

My buddy has one of these scopes and swears by it. I have a $30-40 scope on mine. It is dead on out to 100. Never had a shot further. Not sure I would ever need it. 96yds on a groundhog was the furthest I have shot it. Yes. It was DRT.

I have a Mueller APV 4.5-14X on my Savage 93 in .17HMR. I think this is a great match for the .17HMR. Scope has AO and is very clear all through the variable magnification range. I think shots at game past 150 yards with an HMR is pushing the envelope. As flat as the HMR shoots I see no need for adjustable turrets for hunting use. Target shooting at longer ranges I could see some use for turrets though.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The mueller series of scopes gets great reviews on rimfirecentral.

I put a vortex rimfire scope on my 10/22 and I love it.

Diablo54

Outside
I wouldn't recommend the BSA. You can't beat a vortex scope. I have a crossfire 2 on my 223. And a rim fire edition 2by9 on my savage 17. You can't beat the warranty and the quality.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I have 2 BSA scopes one is a 8 x 32 and the other is a 4 x16 both on 250s. They have been decent scopes for the money. I haven't had any trouble with mine. There is more clearer scopes out there. But for the money theses scopes have held up to over 2500 rounds out of each gun and still no trouble.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
In y'all's opinion is a 6-18 power over kill for a 17? Would a 3-9,3-12 be more realistic?

I would say 3 by 12 is plenty I have a 22 mag with a 3x9 on it and I can see anything clearly I can reach. Its all about opinion I very rarely go over 20 power with my 8x32. But I bought it for the price of a 3x12 so that's why I have that much power on that rifle. Its all about how much you want to spend. Or if you would ever put it on a bigger rifle and what you want it for I guess.jmo