Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Binoculars

I'm in the need for a good pair of binoculars for 3d, scouting and hunting. I've never had a nice pair. I am looking at something 8x42 with nice glass clarity, light transmission, and argon purging. I would also like to not go over 500 dollars.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I'm looking at sightrons for next year. Been reading a bunch about them. I have Burris full field 2's and I have compared them to diamondbacks from vortex and they seemed the same to me. But it was broad daylight

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I know nearly nothing about good glasses, but my bride bought me a pair of Bushnell Legends for Christmas. They are awesome, at least from my not overly-experienced point of view.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Steiner Predator 8x30- Auto focus, adjust each eye piece and they are adjusted 20 yds. to infinity. I never found this to be a handicap for bow hunting.
Weigh in at 18 oz. I use a binco harness. I've had them going 10 yrs. and if I needed to replace them I would get the same model back.
They come with attached lens covers on both ends. Nice feature.
Cost is 239.49 on Amazon. For the money I consider them the best made.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll second the Steiner predators. I dont own a pair but I've used them. They'll definitely be my next optics purchase.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
When it comes to quality, remember that you get what you pay for! I have a pair of Zeiss's and a pair of Kahles. Love them both. I have heard some good things about the Vortex's, but have never held a pair.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Whatever brand you get I would suggest 10x42. I was advised that was the best magnification to go with years ago . Of course it took me years to take that advice. Little slow on the uptake as usual.

Gordo

Athens County
I sold my soul to zeiss a couple years back. If they arent around my neck they are usually within grabbing distance. Problem now is that i want to get the next step up in terms of magnification for certain occassions. Not sure that will ever happen due to the price tag

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Had a pair of Steiner Predators that were terrible but thanks to the awesome lifetime warranty and customer service I returned them and had a replacement set sent to me. I've been very happy with them so far. The only knock on them is the individual focusing I have to do with each eye and readjustments when scanning various distances. Other than that I love em.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've got a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks in 10x42 that I like a lot. For the money, you would be hard pressed to find better glass. They do great in low light and of you buy the tripod adapted and throw them on a tripod, you will have no issues counting points on your target buck out over 250y. For $230, I honestly don't think you will find better glass.

EDIT:
The lifetime warranty pretty much tops off the deal.