Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Offseason Plans

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What's on the list?

Next weekend I am taking corn out to our farm and another need property for some inventory. Won't be long before minerals are a must and I am considering my first annual food plot this spring. I have some serious work to do on 5-6 stand sites across 3 different properties. I may tackle one huge food plot this year as well. Even when I say I'll take it easy, there is always lots of work!!!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Being a relative Newb at trailcams, I am planning on running some mineral sites this year and getting cameras out sooner. I need to remove a few of my stands that I haven't touched in 7-8 years and replace bolts and nuts and touch them up with paint. I have a plan to cut a couple new trails at my newest property that I hunted last year. I seen tons of deer there but was a bit hindered by not having a great trail to hunt over due to cover and a few other things.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm going to snare coyotes for the next month or so. Then I'll start fishing and continue to do so until bow season starts again. That's it. :)

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Going to snare some more coyotes for a little while longer then get my minerals started and will be time to go over stands and get sites ready for next season.Also take care of the family farm mowing and upkeep.Maybe reseed a food plot and some shed and turkey hunting.Is their really such a thing as an offseason.LOL

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My goal this spring is to relocate a few stands on one property to places I've always wanted to put them, but suck getting to in the summer. So, sometime in early March, before the areas get to thick with undergrowth, I'm getting busy. Then I can avoid those areas all summer and early season.

Like Redhunter, I also need to do a safety check on these stands I'm moving. They've been out for quite awhile.

I'll run cameras from mid-March to September over minerals in the surrounding area to help the deer out and get a sense of inventory. However, I will not run cameras in these core areas I intend to hunt. I've done it the last two years and I think I've done more harm than good. I'm starting to get into the mindset of ignoring cameras because they ruin the hunting experience for me. If I'm not getting a shooter on camera I lose hope and it makes me not hunt that area when in fact I know that area can, and has, produce solid bucks.

1. Shed hunt
2. Re-locate stands in March
3. Run cameras on perimeter March to Sept.
4. Plant Frigid Forage on two properties

Gordo

Athens County
I got tons i want to do.

I 'll be putting out food plots on just about every place I can. Been doing alot of reading/research on it. I need to decide what to plant/where.

I'll be putting in alot more time on stand selection, and more importantly access routes. Theres some creek bottoms that need worked just enough to b able to get threw quietly. Theres some open areas where i plan on planting screens to help access locations.

My tractor and my chainsaw are are going to see alot of action.

I'm gonna kick things off by doing some work on my property.

Theres roughly a half acre opening near the back side of our land thats perfect for a food plot. Im going to expand that clearing a bit, hinge a couple tree's, and strategically move some dead falls.

Come on spring!

NEOhunter

I have a few things I wanna do this upcoming 'offseason'

Get some mineral licks out that I bought and put my camera up to see what i've got.
Probably move 1 or 2 of my stands.
Maybe try and shoot a turkey
And get ready to do some of my favorite ponds for bass fishing.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Same on increasing my deer attractions.

1. Frost seed my clover plot.
2. Work up and plant the larger food plot in mid May.
3. Plant a fall winter oats plot of 1.5 ac. In Mid Sept.
4. Cut down the trash tree and brush blocking my view of my food plot from my lookout.
5. Build a permanent tower stand were I killed my buck from on my N-S trail. Just a 17 ft. platform that I'll probably just put a foldup ground blind on.
6. Then move that 2 person ladder stand to the West side of my woods on the other good N-S trail.
7. Refresh the mineral lick I have now and put out 2 more.
8. Work on my camera activity. Hasn't been too useful yet.

9. Since it looks like PCR will be OK'd I'll work on getting my Marlin 45-70 ready. If I need it after bow hunting.

Damn my back hurts already and getting tired just thinking of it. But it's going to be a fun year getting ready.

Be safe everyone.

Last edited:

Treed

Stark County
I'm going to catch a few steelhead, kill me a turkey, hang a couple new stands and clear lanes, put out mineral licks and cams, go bass fishin' and wait pretty much in that order.
I just bought a Hot Shot Tempest thumb release from a guy on A.T. so I'll be spending a lot of time playing with that this spring and summer as well.
Been eyeballing those Carbon Elements TOO. I don't think.......I can hold out........much longer....

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Put some mineral blocks out and the cams to take inventory on what's still out there. Turkey hunt and try and fish hard this year. And maybe move several stands and add a couple more to my arsenal.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I have a boat that I bought late in the season last year that I need to do some work to and get out in when it warms up. Hang some stands, plant 2 food plots, scouting, cutting some firewood/clearing paths at the same time... I've got a lot to do but I'm already having hunting withdraws. Might try for turkeys this year and shed hunting with my daughter sounds fun.

I want to get out and kill some coyotes, then later on when the pups are born I'll probably go out and kill some more coyotes. By that time it'll be warm enough to get my new kayak out in the water for its' maiden voyage, to do some crappie fishing. In between times of kayak fishing, I'd like to get out and kill some coyotes...males, females and pups too.

As the summer goes, I'd like to expand my territory of kayak fishing areas to more farm ponds, a few strip pit quarrys and Lake Erie.

If I get some time, I'd like to get in some coyote killing too. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I want to get out and kill some coyotes, then later on when the pups are born I'll probably go out and kill some more coyotes. By that time it'll be warm enough to get my new kayak out in the water for its' maiden voyage, to do some crappie fishing. In between times of kayak fishing, I'd like to get out and kill some coyotes...males, females and pups too.

As the summer goes, I'd like to expand my territory of kayak fishing areas to more farm ponds, a few strip pit quarrys and Lake Erie.

If I get some time, I'd like to get in some coyote killing too. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

I believe this man wants to kill some coyotes! I like it!