Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

upgrades for my bow

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
well ive been putting some thought into upgrading my sight and rest on my bow. i just got new string and cables. ive been shooting a qad dropaway and a 5 pin truglo sight. i purchased a limb driver pro v yesterday. ive heard some really good things about those i looked at the new g5 c-max but decided to go with the pro v. my next thing im looking at is the trophy ridge react one sight, i like the way its built but im not too sure if i like the idea of adjusting the sight when an animal comes in. i think id like shooting a single pin. what do you guys think about the single pins sights. let me know if youve had any bad experiences with them in the woods.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
well ive been putting some thought into upgrading my sight and rest on my bow. i just got new string and cables. ive been shooting a qad dropaway and a 5 pin truglo sight. i purchased a limb driver pro v yesterday. ive heard some really good things about those i looked at the new g5 c-max but decided to go with the pro v. my next thing im looking at is the trophy ridge react one sight, i like the way its built but im not too sure if i like the idea of adjusting the sight when an animal comes in. i think id like shooting a single pin. what do you guys think about the single pins sights. let me know if youve had any bad experiences with them in the woods.

I am not a fan of single pins. Too much movement if you need to adjust the sight. I went with a Montana Black Gold Ascent (moveable) with three pins. Best of all worlds for me. As for brands I recommend...

MBG
Sword
Spott Hogg
Axcel

I have had or messed with all of the above and they are good. Sword is a good low cost alternative.

Last edited:
I still love my G5 Optix XR sight. It's the one with 3 stationary pins and the 4th. is a moveable one that can take you out for that long distance practice. Have the first 3 set for 0-20, 30 & 40 and the fourth I have used from 50 out to 80 and still had more room to go further. I don't care for the idea of the single pin because many of my spots I can shoot out to my max hunting at 40 yards and the idea of moving the pin for that, then forgetting to move it back when the deer gets closer is too much for me. Heck half the time I am getting ready for the shot I don't have much time other than to pick up the bow, draw and shoot.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Can't help you there as I've never been a one-pin sight kind of guy. I own a Viper for my XT and a Spott Hogg for my Strother. I love the SH and that was my choice after 6 months of debate.

Ricer2231

I never was a single pin guy either. I have a Axcel Armortech on my Hoyt and I really like it. It also has the extra pin that is moveable for the long range shots.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The only single pin style I've ever shot were the scopes I used to shoot on 3D rigs. I couldn't tell you how many times I knew the yardage and set the scope wrong. In my case, there is no doubt I'd set a single pin incorrectly on an approaching deer. 5 pins for me!

teej89

NE PA
Spott Hogggggggggggg! Love mine, and they're indestructible. Well so far lol

I debated going to a single pin but the whole movement thing pushed me away. There's too many times where I'm sitting and all the sudden a deer teleports in front of me and there's barely enough time to judge distance let alone set my pin before drawing. And then I was considering a pendulum sight but I read they're awful if you go out west and hunt. Which I will be this fall.

The best thing about the MBG it there fiber optic wire and uv filter system makes the pins really bright. I was shooting at dusk without a light last night I was surprised how effective it was. My MBG .010 pins during dusk are about the same brightness as the sword .019 pins during day light.