Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What AR-15 do you own

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Colt lower and put together upper for one. My 2nd AR is a gunshow purchased lower and a put together upper.
Both have after market target 2 stage triggers. Both rifles shoot sub one inch groups at 100 yds. and function 100%. The 2nd AR I built up in 223AI (Ackley Improved).

I'll ruffle some feathers here but anyway here goes. Almost all put together rifles will cost a lot less and shot more accurately than almost any factory complete rifle. Just make sure you use top quality parts and match after market triggers. A accurate rifle with a lousy trigger is a inacurrate rifle.

As a friend once said. The lower only serves the purpose of holding the trigger to fire the rifle. And the upper only serves a purpose so the barrel doesn't fall off the lower. It's just that plain and simple.

One must remember that most AR parts, barrel, lowers, uppers are mostly made by a few special manufactures. And just used by other manufactures to build rifles.

My experience of 20 yrs. of shooting AR's for PD shooting out West.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
MK111 makes some good points.

There is a premium/tax added to a complete AR15 that you don't pay if you buy the lower and the upper separately. The lower contains the part that you fill out the 4473 for.

There are different ways to look at them. How serious are you about the use for it? Someone who is buying it to run through 1000 round count classes and does 3 gun competitions is going to have a different set of needs than just using it for occasional hunting and plinking where a failure is more an annoyance than anything else.

How much do you want to spend? In the sub $1000 price range I would suggest the $600 SW M&P15 Sport. As you get to the $1000 price range it would either be BCM (Bravo Company) or the Colt 6920 you can get at Walmart for just over 1000 (saw one today). Over $1000 opens up into Daniel Defense, LMT, BCM, Noveske, etc.

There is nothing wrong with the other manufacturers depending upon your intention for the firearm. I have seen some interesting failures of some of the other brands at Appleseeds. I personally shot a Bushmaster borrowed from a friend that was mischambered from the factory. I have seen the gas key back out and create a single shot on other brands.

Here is a pretty decent explanation of the parts of an AR15 and why some of the aspects matter or may matter to you
Here is another good article

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Seriously looking at the Colt LE6920.

One of the first I recommend.

YHM Diamond Spectre
Colt 6920
RRA self build much like an ATH(most accurate)

I just turned Taylor onto the S&W M&P15T. Great rifle for the price with goodies. Maybe he will post it.

What do you want it for? Plinking? Light and fast? Heavy varmint? In between?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I have 2 Armalite National Match rifles. The one I swapped out the A2 upper for a Rock River A4 upper. Both heavy Wilson stainless barrel with 1:8 twist, float tubes and 2 stage match triggers.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
What do you want it for?

All around I guess.
image.jpg

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH

Lol

One thing I usually recommend for all my rifles is a mid length gas system. Just prefer it.

Are you wanting to hang stuff off of it or keep it light? If you wanna put on lights, QD slings attachments, fore grip,etc I recommend finding the one you want with the correct hand guard installed for the job.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm in the process of unloading some toys to pay for more toys. I will have an AR in the next couple of months. I want one because I feel in love the first time I shot one 13 years ago. There was a time I thought I might be enough of a gun nut to build one, but those days are past or just not here at the moment. I'll be mounting a MOE Forend Grip and a light on my hand guard, so I want a versatile guard installed if possible. I may install a bi-pod at some point as well and remove the forend grip. I have a Vortex Strikefire that will be the optics. The whole idea is to build a decent 100-150 yard gun that I can shoot coyotes and zombies with.

I like that Colt!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I really like the Sig M400Quad.

Does the M&P 15 Sport come with a dust cover and forward assist? How many of ya have actually had to use the FA?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I really like the Sig M400Quad.

Does the M&P 15 Sport come with a dust cover and forward assist? How many of ya have actually had to use the FA?

No it does not come with it. They also dropped the 5r rifled barrel that came with them. Still a good deal.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've shot 20,000-30,000 of 223 handloads PD shooting out west and not once have had to use the forward assist. Wouldn't think twice about buying a AR without the FA.