Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

.22 pistol opinions

Dragtruck

I am looking at purchasing a .22 pistol. I have researched a number of them online:
Ruger mkiii
Ruger sr22
Sig mosquito
Walter p22
S&w 22a

I am leaning towards mkiii, but also like the sr22 and the sig mosquito. Do any of you guys own any of these? Any pro's or cons for any of these?

It will mostly just be a target shooting gun for my wife, daughter, and I.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Strizzi

I own a buckmark and love it. Never had a issue and it's deadly accurate, I use mine for squirrel hunting. I've owned the ruger mkIII and the sr22 and sold both off. I hated the way the mk field stripped but it was accurate and eat everything. The sr22 kinda felt like a toy but again accurate and very little issues with ammo. I've heard horror stories of the sig, but I've never owned or shot one. I'd fondle them all at a local gun shop and see what feels best in your hand.

I have a Ruger 22/45 MKIII lite and for $380 its a very hard to pass up. It also comes with a scope rail it the box vs the buckmark that you have to buy separately. After you remove the magazine disconnect safely they are reliable and eats everything with few malfunctions. Once you remove the mag disconnect safety the field strip isn't that bad. The only other .22 pistols that I'd buy are the GSG 1911 .22 and Browning Buckmark. However they both weigh and cost more than the Mark III Lite. There is also a huge aftermarket supply of triggers and other accessories for the mark III.
Here is the hammer bushing that replaces the magazine disconnect.
http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Hammer-Bushing-Magazine-Disconnect/dp/B008GSOBTY

Last edited:
I have tryed a number of 22 pistols over the years

I ended up keeping 2

#1 is a Ruger Mk2 But a newer MK3 would also work
Mine is a 5 1/2" bull barrel
If you like the grip angle of the 22/45 , IMO it is also a darn nice pistol

#2 is my real choice if you can find one , a Sig TrailSide 6"
IMO several steps above all the other 22 pistols in the price range
A great pistol for all around
A scope or Reddot rings will clamp on the barrel
Way more accurate than I am
Only 1 gripe is the plastic mag , but a S&W 22 mag can be converted to work in the Sig TrailSide in 5 min

John

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I owned a S&W22A and would not buy another one. Some feeding issues but the biggest problem was it was a pain to take apart and put together and had some pretty flimsy parts. Out of all the others, I would pick the MKIII. They are really well made, accurate and fun to shoot. We had 20 oz bottles at 150 yards we were shooting with the Ruger. That was a little far but the rounds were going all over the bottles and we'd hit one every now and then.

I have shot the Walther and they're fun but not as accurate as the Ruger.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My choices in order:

Smith Model 41
Smith model 617
High Standard...about any of them
Ruger 22/45
Browning Buckmark

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
I have a Kimber is the 1911 frame. Like it real well! Just saying for another option.

Dragtruck

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I was leaning the right direction in the first place(ruger mk3). That's probably what I will go with.

I owned a Ruger 22/45 with the heavy barrel that was a good shooter. Also, a Browning Buckmark that was equally accurate.

I currently own a Smith and Wesson 22A with a 7 1/2" barrel, that is very accurate, affordable and a good squirrel killer.

Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have a high standard made in the 50s and wouldn't trade it for two new rugers with concurrent numbers. I just can't miss with it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Same with my late 40's edition.

It's nuts. Mine was made in early 1951. I nicknamed it Excalibur. It's almost like it has special powers of stupid accuracy in my hands. The last time I had it out I was shooting empty shotgun hulls from 20 yards and hitting them about 90% of the time.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
In the last 50 yrs. I've owned and shot almost every 22LR pistol there is. For the money the Ruger autos are some of the best. Had a Military model and sold it for a nice profit to buy my H-S Military.
For serious target shooting I've have and kept the S&W 41 with several different barrels.
For a carry pistol here on the farm I have a High Standard Military auto. For pest shooting I like the exposed hammer.