Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Draw Length Question

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I am still relatively new to archery...This was just a random thought I had the other day after reading "the LINE UP" thread.

If I remember correctly, anchor point had a lot to do with pins and string lining up while the bow is at rest?...Mine does not line up, my calculated draw length is 29" and my anchor point is my release finger knuckle behind and under my right ear.

Does anyone shoot a shorter than calculated draw length? i.e...my calculated DL is 29", could I change it to 28" to "line things up"?

Would this move my anchor point closer to the front of my face and help keep things "lined up"?

This may be a non-issue but I was just curious if anyone is set up like this, if anyone does this.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I am still relatively new to archery...This was just a random thought I had the other day after reading "the LINE UP" thread.

If I remember correctly, anchor point had a lot to do with pins and string lining up while the bow is at rest?...Mine does not line up, my calculated draw length is 29" and my anchor point is my release finger knuckle behind and under my right ear.

Does anyone shoot a shorter than calculated draw length? i.e...my calculated DL is 29", could I change it to 28" to "line things up"?

Would this move my anchor point closer to the front of my face and help keep things "lined up"?

This may be a non-issue but I was just curious if anyone is set up like this, if anyone does this.

this is incorrect. your anchor point has more to do with draw length. it depends on what and where you want to anchor on. i anchor behind my jaw on a pressure point. some people use kisser and nose. its sort of a personal thing and there is a lot more to think about than anchor point. there are form things to consider. I generally try to get the form in a proper state and then find an anchor point that works.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
this is incorrect. your anchor point has more to do with draw length. it depends on what and where you want to anchor on. i anchor behind my jaw on a pressure point. some people use kisser and nose. its sort of a personal thing and there is a lot more to think about than anchor point. there are form things to consider. I generally try to get the form in a proper state and then find an anchor point that works.

And I disagree completely, of course. :). Too long of a draw length and you will consistently pull to the left at release. Too short and you will "fall out" on release, causing you to shoot low and right. "In line" and your bow will fall forward - straight forward- on release.

Having said that, Korean archers do a pretty impressive job with a rather unique, overly-long drawing technique...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
And I disagree completely, of course. :). Too long of a draw length and you will consistently pull to the left at release. Too short and you will "fall out" on release, causing you to shoot low and right. "In line" and your bow will fall forward - straight forward- on release.

Having said that, Korean archers do a pretty impressive job with a rather unique, overly-long drawing technique...

you disagree with having the proper draw length?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No, perhaps I misread. Its the definition of proper draw length that got lost on my quick read through. I'm of the belief that many over-draw their bows, and as a result wind up with pins left of center...and it has nothing to do with the plane of the riser due to torque. As I said in the other thread, you and I will discuss this at a shoot this spring if the opportunity permits.

I had to chime in here so Jim could jump in and argue. :)

Milo

Tatonka guide.
No, perhaps I misread. Its the definition of proper draw length that got lost on my quick read through. I'm of the belief that many over-draw their bows, and as a result wind up with pins left of center...and it has nothing to do with the plane of the riser due to torque. As I said in the other thread, you and I will discuss this at a shoot this spring if the opportunity permits.

I had to chime in here so Jim could jump in and argue. :)
what is your definition of proper draw length? that has me curious. and its not the riser plane, its the cam angles from fulldraw to brace..:smiley_arrogant:

bthompson1004

NWOhio!

Thank you for helping me say what I meant! Form dictating the anchor point makes much more sense than anchor point dictating draw length. I can see Brock's point of view also. I play golf, so the theory behind his statment makes a lot of sense...finish your swing properly and hit the ball straight, finish your swing poorly and slice or hook the ball

Milo, Let's use Beentowns post as the example (not picking on him though)....Would you say he has good form? Would you agree with him shooting a shorter draw length than his actual calculated draw length? Does that theory benefit most archer's?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Thank you for helping me say what I meant! Form dictating the anchor point makes much more sense than anchor point dictating draw length. I can see Brock's point of view also. I play golf, so the theory behind his statment makes a lot of sense...finish your swing properly and hit the ball straight, finish your swing poorly and slice or hook the ball

Milo, Let's use Beentowns post as the example (not picking on him though)....Would you say he has good form? Would you agree with him shooting a shorter draw length than his actual calculated draw length? Does that theory benefit most archer's?
beener is generally rock solid on form. he is only 1 pair of muck boots and a torn up flannel from being super( thats an inside joke) your release will also play into your bow draw length so there is some of that. Arm position, grip type and shot execution all come into play. measurements are general guidelines not set in stone. for example take a truefire release with a fixed solid bar connecting the head to the strap. you are locked into that location(length) but if you use say a Scott lil bity goose that has a strap or rope that you can adjust you can shot a different or longer draw length bow. you want your body to be in a semi relaxed position so you can execute back tension.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
This thread is an excellent example of why I decided to go with a crossbow. :smiley_crocodile:

Hunting with a bow is on the to-do list though, it just looks way more complicated.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This thread is an excellent example of why I decided to go with a crossbow. :smiley_crocodile:

Hunting with a bow is on the to-do list though, it just looks way more complicated.

Its a complicated as you want to make it. Milo is a bow savant. If you are a pie plate guy, its pretty simple stuff. There's a lot of bow junkies on this forum, so we can make things sound more difficult than they need to be!

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
beener is generally rock solid on form. he is only 1 pair of muck boots and a torn up flannel from being super( thats an inside joke) your release will also play into your bow draw length so there is some of that. Arm position, grip type and shot execution all come into play. measurements are general guidelines not set in stone. for example take a truefire release with a fixed solid bar connecting the head to the strap. you are locked into that location(length) but if you use say a Scott lil bity goose that has a strap or rope that you can adjust you can shot a different or longer draw length bow. you want your body to be in a semi relaxed position so you can execute back tension.

Well uhm kinda sorta shrivel'n up in muh old age and get'n shorter and a li'll hunched back - will that mess up muh draw length :smiley_confused_vra

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Well uhm kinda sorta shrivel'n up in muh old age and get'n shorter and a li'll hunched back - will that mess up muh draw length :smiley_confused_vra

hehe sure will ya old cookie duster...sum Pie usually straightens ya up and make yur draw length longerrotflmao

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort

:smiley_clap:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

It's not as hard as you think to hit a deer in the chest at 30 yards with a compound.

Now, hitting that deer high in the 2nd to last rib while it's quartering away on a downhill shot after shooting through a hole in the brush is a whole other thing. lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

Too much bendin' over to kiss da Coon's butt... Glad I could help. :smiley_coolpeace:

Strother23

Columbus, OH
It's just set guidelines of draw length and a lot of trail and error to get the best possible form and tightest groupings. It can be very confusing and difficult if you let it be. But as said before if you are ok hitting a pie plate at 30 yds it's pretty easy.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Too much bendin' over to kiss da Coon's butt... Glad I could help. :smiley_coolpeace:

Dam it brock - i just got out of rehab tday and joe and jesse let muh back in here and now u already fugg'n wif me try'n ta get
me in trouble buh say'n stuff that ain't true - oh btw - coon pays muh to boost him post count over on OS lmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Every day is Fug w Geezer day... Good to see ya 'round, buddy! BTW, I still aint shot that gun, but w bowseason comin', I plan to do a lil night shooting soon. :)