Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Treestand Placement

Hoytman62

Just read that it is recommended to place your tree stand or Ladder stand as far away from a deer core area as possible. What is the meaning of a deer core area? Thanks..

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Ain't never heard that before? Lol.

IMO, a deer's core area is where they spend most of their life. Where he beds, eats and travels. Some bucks core areas are bigger than others. Why would you hunt as far away from there is beyond me?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That is the first I've ever heard of that strategy! So many core areas overlap each other anyways! To further add to the definition of a home core from what I've read or heard years ago, they are usually close to where they were born. They're usually born in thickets where security and cover are great with wind direction is favorable for them.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll echo the others, that's the first time I've ever heard that and it goes against all I've been taught/learned. There are no absolutes (within reason) when it comes to treestand placement. Each situation is different.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Now, as far as a sanctuary goes. A place where a big buck stays on a day to day basis. Clear-cut or an old orchard behind an old barn, that's choked with honeysuckle? Those kind of places are sanctuary's and should never be invaded close or during hunting season. I will go in these places in late winter or early Spring to shed hunt, but only then.

That's all I have. Good luck.