Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Strange?!?!?!

BrockAlbaugh

I was shooting long ranges yesterday with a .223, and by long ranges I mean 550+ yards. After a few shots I decided to go look at the target, which is that plastic poster board that looks like cardboard. When I walk up to the target I realized there was a bullet stuck in it. The weird part was it was stuck in the target backward. It had the rifling on it and the ballistic tip was gone, but other than that it was unharmed. Neither me, my dad, or a friend we were shooting with had any Idea what happened. Would anybody have any clue?

Thanks

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Sounds like your loading too light of bullet and they are keyholeing. This happens when you shoot a fast twist barrel with a light bullet and the bullet doesn't stabilize. What was the load and type of gun and barrel twist. Kinda need more info. Welcome too a great site.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome to TOO. I do rather doubt a tumbling bullet would make it 550 Yds. Possible the bullet hit the ground in front of the target and just by dumb luck bounced up and hit the target backwards. See if there is damage to the bullet nose to verify my thought.
Do it again and I bet you can't.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Welcome to TOO. I do rather doubt a tumbling bullet would make it 550 Yds. Possible the bullet hit the ground in front of the target and just by dumb luck bounced up and hit the target backwards. See if there is damage to the bullet nose to verify my thought.
Do it again and I bet you can't.

I can remember quite often In the military when shooting at 350 meter popups, a bullet would hit short, tumble, and strike the target with enough force to register as a hit and drop the target. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Welcome to TOO! Sometimes when bullets transition from supersonic to subsonic they can destabilize.

A few questions. What weight bullet? What twist is the rifling, if you don't know what make/model rifle. Handloads or factory ammo, if Handloads what is the load.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Welcome to TOO! Sometimes when bullets transition from supersonic to subsonic they can destabilize.

A few questions. What weight bullet? What twist is the rifling, if you don't know what make/model rifle. Handloads or factory ammo, if Handloads what is the load.

I don't think any common load for the .223 would transition to subsonic that soon. Normally it's 700+ yds.

I am with joe on this one.

BrockAlbaugh

It is a 50 grain through a 1/9 twist. It is factory ammo. The gun is a Smith and Wesson m&p 15 ORC.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
My .223 with a 1/9 twist shoots a 69gr bullet the best. If I drop down to a 55gr it is always low and to the left because of the spin on the bullet. I was told the lighter bullet spins too fast in the barrel and it actually curves as well as the normal drop. I would go with a heavier bullet and I bet you will have better groups with that 1/9 barrel.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Try moving closer say 300 yards to see what the bullet holes look like. I say it bounced also!!! The tip missing says it hit something before the target but i also remember i had a older colt that had the older style feed ramps that would snap the plastic ballistic tip off while it was being fed into the chamber.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wouldn't the bullet look deformed if it hit the ground??? Take away some of the rifling I would think.....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I believe this rifle has a 16" barrel meaning a lower MV, plus if the ballistic tip broke before firing the B.C. could be low enough to drop to subsonic before 600 yards.

Did other rounds hit the target?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I believe this rifle has a 16" barrel meaning a lower MV, plus if the ballistic tip broke before firing the B.C. could be low enough to drop to subsonic before 600 yards.

Did other rounds hit the target?

And if they did hit the target what did the holes look like?