Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rough times for deer now

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The deer in our area is having a rough time with 3-4 inches of snow and a 1/2 in. of ice on top of the snow.
I can see about 5% of my food plot from my bedroom and the deer are going through that area to the other 95%. It's noon and they are just pawing the ground to get at the oats. Some are in the 7 Card Stud plot eating the seed tops off the grass that came in with the planting. Not sure what the grass is but it's large seed and stops at the fence line where I planted it.
I feel I'm a large benefit to the local deer herd with the food plot. 2014 food plot will hopefully be bigger and better.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We were amazed the other day when we located deer on the N side of a ridge. Turns out they were digging ferns out of the snow. It was stand in the sun and paw through 6" of ice crusted snow, or stand in the shade and paw through 12" of powder to eat something green. They obviously loved the ferns!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Plenty of browse still above the snow too last them until it melts.... I've had 200 lbs of corn on he ground for over a month and they're hardly hitting it.... Squirrels are getting fat and the birds are looking fit as well but the deer are pretty much ignoring it but I'll keep it out.... Thinking about some mineral blocks I till the ground thaws so I can mix up some of Jessie's mineral site.....

Gordo

Athens County
Wished I had some of that Frigid Forage out. I heard it is great and hearty in these kind of temps. The deer love it TOO.

I'll be doing alot of planting this year for the first time so I've been reading a ton. That mix gets great reviews. I'm looking forward to testing her out

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Plans for a couple food plots here too. I want to do a small one in my back yard by the apple trees, maybe 1/8 acre and then the other place I hunt has about a 3 acre spot of overgrown weeds on the edge of the woods and a corn field that would be a perfect place for one. Is it deer season yet?

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wished I had some of that Frigid Forage out. I heard it is great and hearty in these kind of temps. The deer love it TOO.

I ordered enough Frigid Forage Big-N-Beasty seed to plant 1 ac. for 2014.
I really don't see the deer digging for the turnips I have planted now and some are as big as softballs. But they sure are crazy about the Whitetail Forage oats. I have to walk down there and get a close look.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What frigid forage blend?

I'm going to try Big-N-Beasty. I planted Evolved Harvest 7 Card Stud in 2013. It came up great and the purple top turnips are as big as softballs all the way down to baseball size. But I really don't see much feeding evidence.
I went with the Big-N-Beasty to try the sugar beets in the mix. We'll see.

Gordo

Athens County
Awesome. Keep us posted and i'll be doing the same.

I'm going to go a bit food plot crazy this year so i'll be pickin alot of brains and should gain some good experience.

As soon as this weather breaks i'll be starting to clear some areas out. Should be fun/rewarding work