Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Another great day in the woods

lung buster

hocking county
Today was another snow day for the kids and since I had the day off we decided to go rabbit hunting. We jumped one as soon as we got started and shortly after hunter was bringing him back around and Andrew finally killed his 1st rabbit! We jumped another and hunter brought it back around twice but Andrew couldn't get a good shot. It was a great day and way better than being at school and work!

Huckleberry Finn

Yup, I was walking the top edge of a wooded slope in Knox Co and the rabbit came hopping out into the cut bean field...my first rabbit was the first thing I killed after passing my hunter safety test. You don't forget your first.

He learned a lot more and made more memories than he would have in school today!

lung buster

hocking county
I still remember my first too. My dad seen one sitting in some briars and I shot him before the dogs ever got to run him. That's probably why I hate to shoot one on the jump nowadays,lol. I'd rather hear the dogs run anyways! There is not a better sound that I can think of in the woods other than maybe a gobbler,lol.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That is awesome! There is nothing better than a kid firing up his first bunny. That's a great looking hound too!

ray12

I love that second picture!! I know its always awesome getting out there with my beagle and trying to chase some rabbits! My first rabbit is one that I will never forget !!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I love that second picture!! I know its always awesome getting out there with my beagle and trying to chase some rabbits! My first rabbit is one that I will never forget !!

My first rabbit through probably my 10th rabbit or so were all shot in my grandpa's back yard with a pellet gun when I was around 8 years old. I will never forget creeping around that 5 acres or so with my pellet gun and binoculars like a was a big game hunter in the mountains somewhere. Hundreds of hours of good times and good memories. That is what got me started in hunting and it's something I've never been able to get out of my system. 25 years or so later I get that same feeling when a deer walks out in front of me in the woods while I'm holding a gun or crossbow.

Seeing that kid holding up his first rabbit really brought back some good memories for me- so thank you.