Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I thought only TV people killed bucks on their last day in the last minutes!

Treed

Stark County
I went out last night for what would have been my last sitting of the season. Now, I've never believed in last minute miracles, the only people who shoot a deer on their final day of the season in the last 15 minutes of shooting light are on TV. I've always thought it was hokey, until now.
I was sitting in my ground blind just getting ready to wrap it up and head out when I looked up and saw a rack approaching. I've been after this ten point all season long and recently found out one of my neighbors sons got him a couple weeks ago but there was also an eight running around the property too, emphasize was. I usually don't hunt from the blind, I got it to hunt with my kids so they don't have to worry so much about sitting still for hours at a time. I guess I was just feeling lazy and decided I didn't want to go through all the hassle with my climber so off to the blind I went. After about 2 and a half hours, half of which I spent dozing, I figured I was done. It was around 5:30 and I was just getting ready to get up when I saw a rack approaching. The eight point stopped 30 yards away giving me a full broadside. I stuck one in him and watched him run.....20 feet, if that. I hit heart and lungs, great contact and there would have been a good blood trail but he didn't make it that far. I have to say, this is my second deer this season with Rages Hypodermics, to be honest, I was a little leery of them when I bought them. I'm here to tell ya, these things are brutal. If you're into mechanicals, they're worth taking a look at.
This seasons had it's ups and downs and the late season has been flat out brutal with all this cold. I'm happy to be ending it on a high note. Now I can finally go steelheading! YAY!

Attachments

• My first Ohio buck.JPG
    My first Ohio buck.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 55
  • where he lay.JPG
    where he lay.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Treed

Stark County
No, they won't. Don't know of any mechanicals that will and still function. All those hours practicing, the hundreds of times I've killed the 3D deer in the backyard, it's all paid off. =)

Treed

Stark County
Thanks guys,
It's been a heck of a ride this season. It's been the coldest winter I can ever recall hunting. That buck makes the all the frozen afternoons of the past couple weeks well worth it though. Thanks you all for the support. This is a great community we have here.