Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Favorite loads?

TwistedX

I know this will be all over the place with everyone posting different combos but what's your favorite load, caliber, and rifle and why?

I have a Remington .308 that shoots the ultramax 168 gr. 1680 fps pretty well. I sighted it in on paper at 300 and can hit the bottom of a pop can every time I squeeze. I have not messed with TOO many hand loads but have the stuff to do it. I believe the ultramax is actually Sierra 168gr bthp (boat tail hollow point). I've had groups as tight as 1.5" at 300 and get the occasional flyer as with anything factory. This is my favorite combo since I do not have another rifle and never had the time to reload much yet. I've used it for groundhog, fox, and a loose cow by the road but never had a coyote come in while i had it.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I will start with my favorite pistol load since that is what i shoot the most. 45 acp in a 1911. I like a 230 grain LRN with 5.0 grains of Win. 231. Really nice shooting load. Another i like is for the 200 grain SWCer. 5.5 grains of 231 for that bullet and shoots some pretty tight groups out of my gun. I load for a LOT of different calibers for pistol and rifle but mostly 45.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Win cases
CCI SPP
Berry's 95 gr rn
3.6 gr of Universal Clays
Sig

LC brass
CCI SRP
Sierra Match King 69 grains
24.5 grains of H335
RRA self build like an ATH

9mm
WWC brass
124gr Hornady JHP
4.1gr of Titegroup
Springfield XDM

LC Match Brass
CCI BR-2 Primers
Nosler Custom Competition 168gr
44.6 grains of Varget
Howa Custom Varmint or Browning A-Bolt

Currently looking for what I like in .40

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
22-250 with remington brass filled with 38 grains of H-380 with a 50 grain Hornady spire point varmint bullet on top. You can cover five shots with a dime at 100 yards with this load out of my Savage 112!!!! Not as many ground hogs around these parts anymore LOL!!!!

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
For the 44mag i have had great results with both a S-W 629 classic with a 6 1/2 inch barrel and Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 7 1/2 inch barrel with this load. 19 grains of H-110 with a CCI 350 primer and a 240 grain Hornady XTP. This load is a few grains shy of max of 24 grains but shot best in my guns!!!!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
hahahaha

Believe it or not, my .22's like the Remington Golden Bullet, and though I love it, it's not my favorite....

My favorite is my Knight Wolverine with 70 gr of Blackhorn powder pushing a Traditions "Plinker" target bullet.

Yeah, Dan's weird, so what?

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
For my Thompson Center Contender in .22 Hornet it LOVES 12 grains of AA1680 with a 40 grain Hornady hornet bullet!!!! 14 inch bull barrel and that gun shoot as good or better than a rifle. Shot a ground hog at 180 yards with that gun and load!!!! Everybody should own a 22 hornet of some kind!!!!

Stevens 200 in .25-06 and a 22" sporter barrel. Shooting a 75gr. Hornady V-Max with 47gr. of IMR-4895 @ 3400 f.p.s.
Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Mag. with a 9 1/2" barrel. Shooting a 240gr. Remington JHP with 18gr. of 2400 @ 1450 f.p.s.

Bowhunter57

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
For my Thompson Center Contender in .22 Hornet it LOVES 12 grains of AA1680 with a 40 grain Hornady hornet bullet!!!! 14 inch bull barrel and that gun shoot as good or better than a rifle. Shot a ground hog at 180 yards with that gun and load!!!! Everybody should own a 22 hornet of some kind!!!!

I've had the 22 Hornet for 25 yrs. In Contender, Win Low Wall 22K Hornet, and a Ruger #3. But I tried of the reloading the case so I had my last rifle the Ruger #3 re-chambered to 221 Fireball.
The 221 Fireball is a round I've fell in love with. Have the 221 Fireball also in a TC Contender 10" bull barrel that shoots great. I used it for awhile to shoot 100 yd. steel rams with 55 gr. lead cast bullet. That round combo dropped every ram at 100 yds.
In the past when I did crop permits I used the #3 Fireball with a 40 gr. Hornady 22 Hornet bullet and did head shots. All deer dropped in their tracks and no meat damage.

Nothing personal guys but I never post loading data or use loading data posted on line. It's scary to me. I've been selling reloading equipment for over 28 yrs. at gunshows and I've seen too many scary tails.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I would hope a guy wouldn't pull a load off a post without first checking it in one of his books but i could also see someone doing it. The thin case of the hornet does make it a pain and it dosen't last long but the cost is WAY worth it over factory rounds plus it shoots way better after the brass is once fired and formed to the chamber. I remember when the Remington XP-100 was around with the Fireball. Awesome gun and round!!!! That #3 has to be a sweet handling gun!!!!

My favorite rifle has been my Remington 700 ADL with a 6-18X Redfield scope in .243. This was my go to groundhog and deer hunting rifle for many years. After trying many loads I found the 85 gr. Sierra boattail hollow point pushed by 46 grains of IMR 4350 with CCI Mgnum primers in Winchester brass made an awesome round. This is a very hot round for a .243, so by all means this load should be used with caution. My Remington 700 handled it for over 30 years with no problems, but other guns may not.