Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Teach a non-trapper about trapping

bluedog

I don't wan't to hijack Boarhead's thread with my own ramblings any further. It's a fine thread and should be kept going as is. As I alluded in that thread I am not anti-trapping (actually part of me could see myself getting involved in this, but after hunting turkey, rabbit, deer, squirrels and groundhogs, I need another "addiction" like I need a hole in my head, LOL). What I am is a concerned hound owner. My biggest problem with trapping is the issue of non-target catches.

To answer the question about the 220 that caught my beagle, yes it was on land. Yes I know that is illegal. It was set in the opening of a groundhog hole. I had permission to be there. It was just a farmer doing what farmers do to protect his livestock. Illegal? Yes but I'm sure it happens all the time. He did not even think about my dogs coming through there. When he found out, he removed all his traps and apologized. I in turn did a lot of groundhog hunting for him. It is water under the bridge as far as I am concerned. (Although my heart is racing a bit as I type this and as remember that summer day.)

I had one other incident with 220's. This was many years ago when walking my property one late December day, I came across a 220 set on a small game trail on the edge of my standing corn field. It had no name tag. I called the game warden. He investigated and found 8 more traps, but those had name tags. Turns out it was a kid down the road that was setting them to catch raccoons. He thought he was on the neighbor's land that had given him permission to trap. That little episode cost him around $400 (trapping without permission, illegal land sets, and one trap that did not have a name tag). The game warden said it was lucky our beagle hadn't got caught. I don't know who was teaching this kid. More likely no one was and he was just learning on his own. That's a shame.

That is my background with traps. As you know, hounds don't know boundaries. There are probably very few if any places that one could hunt around here where there would not be a risk of a rabbit running at least a short way across a property line. When you get way back off the beaten path, it really does become impractical to contact every single land owner for a dog that might stray 50 or 100 yards across a line. I never cross lines myself, but a beagle might while circling a rabbit. In some areas I will call the dogs off a chase if they go to stray onto another property, but in those way back in the woods places, I'll admit that I just stand where the rabbit was jumped and let the dogs do their thing. Most of the time I am well off the property line and while I can hear the dogs, I don't know their precise location in regards to property lines. I've had rabbit run 1/2 mile out before circling some times.

So maybe this thread could be used by all you experienced trappers on things that you do to minimize the risk of catching someone's dog. Maybe if there is some kid out there wanting to start trapping and trying to learn on their own, then they will pick up some tips. And if I hear tales of dogs that were caught and released unharmed, I will be much more relaxed about the whole scenario.

Thanks for listening to me ramble. The snare thing is especially new to me. I just started learning about them last year at that coyote hunting seminar I went to. And I had the question about the "kill poles" or however it was phrased as the guy at the seminar made it a point that you want the coyote to be alive if possible because then that meant the snare was set in the safest manner in case a dog was caught.

Diablo54

Outside
I will not go out of my way to not catch a dog. If I do tough shit for the owner. I will always do what I can to let the dog out. But it is not my fault if I catch one. It is my responsibility to let it out and be the best I can be when I do catch one. As far as leg hold sets there is really not much a trapper can do to not catch dogs. That's what you are trying to catch is wild dogs. You can however 1.set far from peoples houses. 2. Contact all the neighbors and tell them that you are setting traps. 3. Try to be using traps with offset jaws to help make unwanted catches a tad more comfortable. 4. Always obey the trapping laws and you have nothing to worry about

I don't think the question should be what can trappers do to prevent unwanted catches. It should be what can pet owners do to prevent unwanted catches. I never wish to see a dog in my trap but I have never ever felt that it was my fault that it was caught. I was doing my job the animals owner wasn't doing there's.

Accidents happen and the best thing trappers can do is treat the animals with respect and do what they can to remove them from the trap.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Stuff like this can be avoided if people were made aware of the traps. If a neighbor lets their dog run loose and it ventures onto the property with traps then that wouldn't be the trappers fault. As long as people are obeying the laws there's really nothing a trapper can do too prevent this. There's no magic anti pet spray that can be applied. Then again, a lot of trappers don't want other people besides the landowner to know where they trap. So if someone wants too hunt coon, rabbit, or squirrels with dogs on land that is being trapped and the landowner OK's it without the trapper knowing, who's fault would it be?

Kaiser878

ohio
The last thing any trapper wants to do is catch a dog, as in a pet dog. but like taylor said, when trappnig for coyotes you are trying to catch a dog...If you are trapping for coyotes, you WILL eventually catch a domestic dog.... I have caught two this year.... The ones was an older lab and I felt terrible.... The other was a local problem dog whos owners refuse to keep it kenneled...So I called the dog warden....

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I know not one of us trying to catch yotes ever wants to catch a dog but it will happen from time to time and like I said the ones I caught were not being kept where they were supposed to be so not my fault and just glad they were ok but if they were not then like Diablo said tough shit for the owner as it is their fault, None of my snares I set are close to anyone's home and if a dog wonders that far and I catch one I will let the dog owner know but I don't feel that I have to go house to house just to let people know I am trapping anything so they can keep their dogs off our property they should already be doing that if they are responsible dog owners, The 2 dogs that I have snared were in an area that they could get wrapped up and choked out but like I said they were just waiting to be released and never struggled with the snare and they were more than a half mile from where they belonged as they were chasing deer on our property and not the first time.After I went and brought the owners on the property to release one of their dogs they finally got it and we never had anymore problems after that.Research coyote snaring and you will see most guys that snares would prefer a quick kill and a lot use killpoles out in open areas.It is just something they can get wrapped around to prevent them from chewing through the cable,I know the farms I trap nobody else is allowed on them to run dogs so if a coon hunter or some other dog runner decides to trespass and hunt and their dog gets caught that would be on them and I would let the W.O. handle it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Texted a neighboring landowner asking permission to trap coyotes. I hunt two properties that neighbor his. One was his dads place that his dad sold. He said no because he has dogs. (Really he's just a douche canoe. he doesn't live out there and is rarely there.) I told him I wasn't going to trap his dads old place because it's really close to his cabin and an easy walk for his dogs. Then I let him know were traps would be set. If I catch one of his dogs it's 100% his fault at this point.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
This is always in he back of my mind when I'm rabbit hunting or just running the dogs and the property I run the girls on I always talk too the owners and ask since we had a run in with a couple of yotes in snares a couple of thanksgivings ago....

It's on my mind but I don't dwell on it and try too keep the girls close by when not on a track.... I like too keep them in sight at all times if I can so I can intervene quickly if needed.... If you run dogs long enough eventually it's going too happen so far I've been extremely lucky on that front.....

Ricer2231

I don't mean to sound insensitive but if hunters choose to hunt on lands they know are being trapped then I believe they are basically accepting the consequences of doing so. Also if a hound would be caught in a set on an adjoining property that the hunter doesn't have permission to hunt on then double shame on the hunter. One for allowing their dog to go onto the property and two for not retrieving their dog quickly enough to keep them from getting caught.
No truer words have been said in this thread than the fact that as a trapper we are "targeting" a canine and traps don't differentiate. I caught the landowners dog in one of my 1 3/4" legholds this year and luckily the landowner was there to release it quickly and the dog was just bruised up. But in the same perspective the landowner knew it was a chance he was taking by going out and allowing his dog to run loose. The nice part was the landowner was a past trapper and had the knowledge to release his dog and the fact that the first thing he said was this is in no way shape or form your fault. He also said this is something I knew could happen but I was willing to take the chance to get rid of some of the deer killing yotes. I told him I was glad that he had this outlook and I still made it a point to apologize.
One thing is for sure. The majority of hunters/trappers agree that the coyote problem is quickly becoming an epidemic and untargeted animals are going to be caught, including hounds. I personally feel that hound catches are 100% the fault of the dog handler and his/her risk they take when allowing their hounds to run on land being trapped and/ or land they're not even supposed to be on anyway.
We as trappers are trying to improve our hunting environment by removing a "virus" that is infecting it and the thing that burns my butt the most is being thanked by the hunter in one breath and cursed in the next breath for catching their hound. I'm not pointing this finger at anyone here. I am just sharing the fact that I have heard this happen more than once. I guess it boils down to " Hunt At Your Own Risk". Just my .02.

Last edited:

bluedog

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess it is just a risk as a dog owner and I have to assume the responsibility. Just as Boarhead stated that he doesn't go door to door around the block telling landowners he is trapping, I don't go door to door around the block asking adjacent landowners if they have someone trapping. Some areas I could do this. Some it would be impractical. Like I said in my original post, I may be standing 1/2 mile away while that rabbit takes a 50 yard swing on to an adjacent property and then back on where I am hunting and I wouldn't even know it. I know the Ohio Revised Code makes exceptions in the "leash law" for dogs when they are hunting. I'm sure it is to cover instances such as this where a dog is pursuing game and can't be immediately called off. It happens.

So yes as a hound hunter, I do have to assume the risk here. But I guess I also wanted opinions those who trap regularly. I really did like the outlook of the DOW guy that taught the coyote trapping seminar who preached to attempt to have them alive when they are caught ( just in case of a non-target catch). I understand this can't always be done, but I do appreciate his attitude.

Thanks again for all the responses. I appreciate them all on both sides of the issue.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I don't mean to sound insensitive but if hunters choose to hunt on lands they know are being trapped then I believe they are basically accepting the consequences of doing so. Also if a hound would be caught in a set on an adjoining property that the hunter doesn't have permission to hunt on then double shame on the hunter. One for allowing their dog to go onto the property and two for not retrieving their dog quickly enough to keep them from getting caught.
No truer words have been said in this thread than the fact that as a trapper we are "targeting" a canine and traps don't differentiate. I caught the landowners dog in one of my 1 3/4" legholds this year and luckily the landowner was there to release it quickly and the dog was just bruised up. But in the same perspective the landowner knew it was a chance he was taking by going out and allowing his dog to run loose. The nice part was the landowner was a past trapper and had the knowledge to release his dog and the fact that the first thing he said was this is in no way shape or form your fault. He also said this is something I knew could happen but I was willing to take the chance to get rid of some of the deer killing yotes. I told him I was glad that he had this outlook and I still made it a point to apologize.
One thing is for sure. The majority of hunters/trappers agree that the coyote problem is quickly becoming an epidemic and untargeted animals are going to be caught, including hounds. I personally feel that hound catches are 100% the fault of the dog handler and his/her risk they take when allowing their hounds to run on land being trapped and/ or land they're not even supposed to be on anyway.
We as trappers are trying to improve our hunting environment by removing a "virus" that is infecting it and the thing that burns my butt the most is being thanked by the hunter in one breath and cursed in the next breath for catching their hound. I'm not pointing this finger at anyone here. I am just sharing the fact that I have heard this happen more than once. I guess it boils down to " Hunt At Your Own Risk". Just my .02.
I agree with ricer. I ve hunted a hound for almost 30 years. Some weeks 7 days a week. These are consequences that do happen. As you say a canine is the target animal. We hunt between 6 and 10 dogs every weekend. And for the most part we know what sections have traps and which dont. And we hunt a lot I mean a lot of acres. But we talk to landowners and we know who is doing what and when on their property. I will admit we have been fortunate on not having a dog in a snare. But we do our homework before we turn a dog lose. We do all we can do to keep dogs out of sets. Most every guy in the group either carries a set of wire cutters or they are in a truck and available if needed to cut a dog out of a snare. Its not the trappers fault if a guys has permission and everything is legal. Granted a hounds man can only do so much. But bad things do happen and a guy that hunts long enough with a dog will find this out, rather it be a dog caught in a trap or hit by a vehicle, or falls through the ice or just have your best dog ever die of old age. This stuff happens, we as houndsman have to do the most we can to prevent those accidents from happening. If a trapper is doing what he is suppose too be doing you can't blame the trapper. Here again that's if the trapper is legal beagle with permission. And there is plenty of fly by night trappers that don't follow the laws, especially when fur prices are up. And those are the guys that make us legit trappers look bad. We all need to enjoy the woods and what it offers and work together to make it even better then what we have. One bad apple can ruin the whole batch of apple jack.