Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Propane prices

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Just got a fill up and about fainted... What cost us $674 in august cost $1588 today. Ol lady called and told me and I hung up on er...lol

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
We put in a wood burning stove this year and it's the best investment I've ever made. Propane is going through the roof right now with these extreme temps. Hopefully that'll last you until it warms up and then it'll be back to normal.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm not looking forward to this. My wife and I are currently in the process of moving into a house that uses propane for heat. Tank is only 18% full right now so I'm planning on making the call tomorrow. Ugghhh.... I have a feeling this is going to hurt.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I'm gonna make it last one way or another. We tried the fire place but our little one has asthma and the smell of smoke makes her cough constantly and that leads to her puking her guts out. When ever we get a new place first thing I'm getting is an outdoor stove...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My neighbor just told me on Friday that he paid over 4/gallon for it. He got it under a buck back in September, which had me in all worked up as I had paid 3/gallon at the same time from a different supplier. We are at 20% right now. I will probably finish the year using wood pellets once I get our propane below 10%. The stuff is pricey, but sure is convenient when compared to wood. Still, living where I do, I should be looking at wood...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm gonna make it last one way or another. We tried the fire place but our little one has asthma and the smell of smoke makes her cough constantly and that leads to her puking her guts out. When ever we get a new place first thing I'm getting is an outdoor stove...

I've got a buddy that sells and installs them if you decide you'd like to look at one for your current residence. They seem to make the most sense to me.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I've got a buddy that sells and installs them if you decide you'd like to look at one for your current residence. They seem to make the most sense to me.

My dads neighbor sells Hardy's and dad has one of them himself. I cut all the stinkin wood for him. Like 12-15 cords per year...lol...He heats his water with it as well.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My dads neighbor sells Hardy's and dad has one of them himself. I cut all the stinkin wood for him. Like 12-15 cords per year...lol...He heats his water with it as well.

That's what impresses me. They can do a little more than just warm air in one room. :)

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
12 to 15 cords per year??????????

Yes. He's about 2/3 through his second wagon load this month. With a Honduran wife and two of her kids with her he goes through a lot...lol... Thermostat is usually on 78-80. We go there for Christmas and have to wear shorts...lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I heard there is plenty of propane but its just not in the right areas. They're price gouging like they do with gas prices because they can.....fuggin crooks! Lol

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Yes. He's about 2/3 through his second wagon load this month. With a Honduran wife and two of her kids with her he goes through a lot...lol... Thermostat is usually on 78-80. We go there for Christmas and have to wear shorts...lol

Wow. That's a lot of wood. Of course, my house doesn't come close to 78 degrees, winter or summer! I like it on the cool side.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Damn we keep it at 68°. There's no way I could sleep at 78-80°.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra

That's the setup I have...Central boiler wood stove and a water to water heat exchanger gives me all my domestic hot water...saves me an additional $40 per month in electricity by not running my hot water heater....house stays comfortable at 72 degrees.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
hard to believe there is a shortage with all the gas wells in eastern ohio.....smells like feesh

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
hard to believe there is a shortage with all the gas wells in eastern ohio.....smells like feesh

I agree, it is fishy. Although I know there are a shit ton of wells that have the potential to produce, but aren't because the infrastructure just isn't there for transporting.

Gordo

Athens County
Those prices are insane.

Been there, done that. We've been burning shit tons of wood in our new place, but remember the days of dropping major coin to get our propaine tank filled up.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I've kinda got a good hookup with my company I deal with. Im hoping I can still get it reasonably priced. I have about 50% left on my 500 gallon tank. I hope it lasts me a few more weeks and the prices drop.

epe

Lancaster
I have a ventless heater I run now and again. Tsc went from 2.79 to $3.29 and are out, as most places are. How much are you guys seeing kerosene for?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got 37% in my tank. It's used for backup and hot water only. But during this extreme cold weather the furnace has been running more.
My corn stove looks better every year.