Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Remington 22LR model 597

NEOhunter

I was wondering if anybody had any advice on this gun. I went to shoot it tonight to sight it in and the bullets won't shoot? What could make it jam? Ammo choice? or something else? I just want to be able to use it for squirrels or messing around.
I'm using Remington ammo.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Are you using the factory clip ? I have a 597 . Haven't shot every ammo thru it but I've never had a problem with the factory 10 rd clip . After market clips are a different story tho .

Huckleberry Finn

Jam, or failure to fire?

The 597 has a very small firing "pin" - I've seen other .22's that have a larger pin or better a square firing "block" (those are the guns that will shoot all kinds of junk .22s). I bought mine probably 7 years ago now and had issues with it firing and ended up sending it back into Remington. It's been fine since, but I've also pretty much disregarded it. It's a fun gun to shoot, but I wish I had saved a little more and bought a 10/22. And I even bought mine at a cheap price! But, I also have half a dozen "banana clips" for mine now, so it'll stay around for awhile. It's a truck .22.

My 597 refuses to shoot Thunderbolts or Golden Bullets, funny...I thought the green gun would shoot the bullets from the green box. It shoots Blazers fairly well (the brick I have now), but what I reach for are Federals. With Federal GameShocks, you can do very well.

Huckleberry Finn

Are you using the factory clip ? I have a 597 . Haven't shot every ammo thru it but I've never had a problem with the factory 10 rd clip . After market clips are a different story tho .

I'd agree with this as well. The metal, 10-round factory clip is normally pretty good. I picked up an extra this fall for $6 at Walmart. I will say that the newer 35 round clips that Remington makes are pretty heavy duty though. I dropped one, ran it over, the combine ran it over, and although the side cracked, the lips didn't so I just matched parts from an older 35 rnd clip that had split plastic lips.

(Beener, if I say clip one more time instead of magazine, whatcha gonna do!?)

NEOhunter

I'm shooting the factory 10 round clip. And it's failure to fire. I'm not sure what i'll do. it maybe shoots 50% of the time. When it doesn't shoot you can take the bullet out and see where the pin hit it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
When it doesn't shoot you can take the bullet out and see where the pin hit it.

Compare the marks of the ones that go off and the ones that don't, see if there's any difference. If not I'd say ammo is the reason if there's a difference then you need too look at the firing pin.....

New gun or a used one? New take it back....

NEOhunter

I never thought to compare the ones that shoot and the ones that don't. I will try that next time and see if there is any difference. It is a used gun, I got off my dad who got it from a buddy of his. I don't really have any idea how much it was shot prior to my dad giving it to me. Thanks for the thoughts so far.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Also, if you have the ability I'd take the bolt apart and clean that all out and lightly oil everything... Ask Jesse about what the inside of an action looks like lol....

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I was wondering if anybody had any advice on this gun. I went to shoot it tonight to sight it in and the bullets won't shoot? What could make it jam? Ammo choice? or something else? I just want to be able to use it for squirrels or messing around.
I'm using Remington ammo.

Mine doesnt like the thunderbolts either. The smaller powder charges arent enough to eject the spent case and reload a new one. try the CCI velocitors. Drive tacs out of my 597.