Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your FF screen size?

I'm not so sure that I want to have a 3.5" screen size for my kayak Fish Finder. 4" screens are almost impossible to find, but Lowrance is supposed to be coming out with some 4" screen models, in late February. The next size up is a 5" screen and they're $350+.

I prefer a color screen, but if I went with a b/w screen, it would have to be a 16 Level Gray Scale.

I'm open to suggestions for a Fish Finder, on my kayak.
What's your screen size?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

DXT

I have a 5" screen lms520 I bought it used on bbcboards.net it's a great FF with color.

I'm favoring a 5" screen too and am nearly settled on the Lowrance Mark 5x Pro. Amazon shows them for $140.

To go to a 3.5" screen with color in the Lowrance Mark 4 Pro HDI, for $145...but I don't care for the smaller screen size. To get the best of both, I'd have to go with a Elite 5x DSI, which has color, a 5" screen and a few other bells and whistles that I don't need and they're $390+.

Since the Mark 5x Pro has a 16 Level gray scale, I'll have good clarity, mark the fish and see the bottom depth...which is all I need. Anything extra will just cost more and be impressive, but won't get the job done any better. I don't want to be entertained by this unit, I just want to have an idea of the depth, bottom structure and mark some fish. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I bought a boat last year and it came with two older fish finders. On one the screen doesn't light up and it's super old then the other is supposed to work but the mounting bracket is broken so I need to get a new one soon. Can't wait for all this snow to melt and get out for some fishing!

yotehunter said:
...if I and it to do over I would have went with a hummingbird I do believe.
yotehunter,
If you get a chance, go to the Bass Pro in Rossford or Cabelas in Dundee and physically see all the different models. Talk to the experienced people there and compare models and ask more questions. This is what I did and I had a preconceived notion of what I wanted, before going. After seeing, hearing and watching the demos, the Lowrance models seemed to have more features and their displays were clearer.

Bowhunter57

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Yea I bought my in dundee . Its been a few years ago its a Lawrence 480 with mapping. The GPS is the cats ass. If I can find the walleye in bressler I can stay on them or anywhere else with the map. The mapping is great I'm just not sold on the sonar. I've seen better sonar units for the money than what I spent. Like I said my unit is probably 10 years old. Good luck on your choice. Hope to see you on the water one of these days.