Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Picked up some new land...

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Got permission to hunt on 86 acres tonight. The property seems nice and I'm going to drive by tomorrow to check it out. The property has a field splitting two sections of woods. Should make for some nice edge line hunting. Only downside is that it was just timbered, however, there are acres upon acres of woods running into this property. The good news is that I am in, so as long as I can keep permission for several years while the woods rebound it should prove to be a nice little plot.

Also, spoke to another guy tonight. He really wanted to give me permission, however, he has so much trouble with his neighbors raising hell with him and other hunters. Fortunately my county has gotten a new game warden so we passed along his name and number to the property owner. He said he would contact the GW and see what he could do. The property owner complained about how he can get damage permits and when he gives them to people they don't do anything with them because they are just trophy hunters. I told him that would not be a problem with us as we like to kill does. I told him to contact me if anything changes for this year, otherwise I would pay him a visit in the spring to see about the crop damage permits. I've got my fingers crossed on this one as he has two hundred acres that butts up to several hundred acres of state preservation land. This property could be huge!!!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Congrats! I think you'll be surprised at how well the woods will hunt after being timbered. Great cover and browse, the deer will bed there for sure if they left the tops.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wouldn't worry too much about the tops either. The woods I shot the buck in my avatar picture was timbered the year I got him. The tops were laying all over the place. Wish I could have gotten permission for the firewood. Instead they just left it all lay there. Was it a selective cut or more of a clear cut take whatever you can cut sort of deal? Hopefully they didn't take ALL the mature trees.

Congrats on the score!

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I'm not sure if it was selective cut, or clear cut. He just said "timbered." If I had to guess I would say that it was selective cut as I am sure he was doing it for the money. I'm sure there are several mature trees that were taken out. I have not visited the property to confirm my suspicions, although I will drive by it tonight. I'm just happy that I picked up some additional land and can work on the hunter/property owner relationship in order to secure this land for many years.

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Good deal, maybe you could run a camera out there for a month or two and not get any pics of deerz. :smiley_crazy:

Just kidding Johnnie body!

Did they cut down everything, or just do some selective timbering. If they did some selective timbering, you will probably see more deer then before they timbered. They like to bed in that stuff.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I agree, if the tops were left you could have some great hunting.

I would do everything you can to get on the property that butts the preserve. That could be the spot of a lifetime!! Bait the fuggers out of the preserve late season!!

haleybrock

Gotta like the old late season baiting trick. :smile: Good luck with the new property JJ.

Swanny, you should compile a list of what deers like to eat in your baiting thread and what you have fed them. :smiley_cheese:

Last edited:

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I agree, if the tops were left you could have some great hunting.

I would do everything you can to get on the property that butts the preserve. That could be the spot of a lifetime!! Bait the fuggers out of the preserve late season!!

Believe me, I/we are! If it doesn't work out this season I am going to see him in the spring and ask for damage permits. IF he lets us hunt then, we'll hopefully get a chance to prove ourselves. If not, I will be visiting him again late summer of next year. I also plan to see if he needs any help around the farm - he did mention a fence that needed built and I told him then to let us know if he needs any help with it. It could be a gold mine!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
If they did some selective timbering that can become a huge advantage. I had a stand setup once about 20 yards in a woods off of a field and the woods had just been timbered over the summer. There was a small buck with a doe about 60 yards into the field from the edge of the woods. I started grunting just to see if I could get this guy to come. He came to the edge of the woods and because of all the brush piles in the woods from being timbered he came all the way into the woods 10 yard past my stand to investigate because he thought the buck that was creating the grunts was behind one of these piles. This was the first type of setup that came to mind. If you can find a place along the edge where if you have to call to a deer out in the field that brush will force them to investigate very thoroughly if they are truely interested.