Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This weekend?

joejoe8

A buddy an I are headed back up to Ohio this weekend. Not really expecting much, never hunted late season in Ohio. Our season is over in Nc, so we thought it would be fun to try it again for a weekend in Ohio. Are you guys seeing any morning movement at all?

Buckmaster

Portage
Movement should be limited this weekend as it will be cold and windy but you can't get them sitting on the couch.
Good luck and have fun.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I saw a few moving back to their bedding areas at first light yesterday but nothing this morning. It was pretty windy here this morning so that may have had something to do with it. I've heard people here say hunting in the morning this time of year is usually not productive but I have a buck tag to fill still so I'm at it every chance I get. Evenings have been without a doubt more productive for deer sightings for me though this past month or so.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Deer will have to be up on their feet moving throughout the day with the very cold temps coming in...hunting should be good.

Deer will have to be up on their feet moving throughout the day with the very cold temps coming in...hunting should be good.

That's my experience with cold weather late season hunting. I wish I was home and in the snow, because I am 90 percent sure Id arrow something. Besides anytime there is snow on the ground its a nice day in the woods. Good luck to you.

joejoe8

We don't get to hunt in the snow very often, so pretty excited about that. With the wind they are calling for looks like I'll be hunting low.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I thought about putting in one last hurra this weekend. Doing a noon to dark hunt. I would like to shoot another deer before the season ends.

jlane

dunn nc
joejoe8 where in nc are you from, i,m from the Dunn area i,m heading up on thursday, to hunt for about 5-6 days good luck keep us posted on your hunt

joejoe8

joejoe8 where in nc are you from, i,m from the Dunn area i,m heading up on thursday, to hunt for about 5-6 days good luck keep us posted on your hunt
Northeast Nc around Ahoskie area. We will be hunting around Athens area, couple small farms. Leaving Thursday night, hunting an scouting Fri,Sat,Sun. Short trip but should more relaxed than out 11 day rut hunt back in Nov. Good luck!

joejoe8

Good luck up here. Conditions will be brutal. Bring a couple bags of corn!
My buddy has been corning a few spots up for us. Not expecting much, but you never know. I passed a few bucks back in November I'd love to see this trip. Not worried about horn size, just looking something mature. We will see if hbs is as good as they say.lol

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
FYI.. I went out last weekend and sat all day from 0545 - 6pm and saw a ton of does in the AM and 1/2 of the same doe herd came back in the evening to finish feeding.. I few weeks back I topped off feeder and set it run 15sec AM and PM and I dumped a bag in front of feeder and the 3 cams I position around feeder area and had 11 deer in one pic at 10am standing and feeding and feeding and feeding.. It was crazy.. I was bummed that I didn't see one buck in any of the pics from the cams, but the corn brings in the deer.

JMTC.. good luck...

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
Good luck, I was out with my sons squirrel hunting in Athens on Sunday. Be sure to verify that it is not a shed buck, I glassed several mature bucks missing their head gear. Also spoke with many landowners there that had several reports of half racked bucks seen from the road.

joejoe8

Good luck, I was out with my sons squirrel hunting in Athens on Sunday. Be sure to verify that it is not a shed buck, I glassed several mature bucks missing their head gear. Also spoke with many landowners there that had several reports of half racked bucks seen from the road.
Yep that would make me sick. My buddy is checking camera's today, hopefully something worth hunting. If not I'll be fine with shed hunting an scouting.