Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cooler Comparisons?

Buckmaster

Portage
Anyone have yet to try some of the big dollar coolers? Yeti, Pelican, etc?

My Dad called me and wanted to split the cost of a quality cooler for our family outdoor adventures.
He's planning an offshore fishing trip out of Hatteras and a Texas deer/hog hunt later this year.

He wants a quality cooler to bring his conquests home in.

So, I guess I'm in the market for a cooler.

Any suggestions, pro's/con's, helpful information?

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Either of those are great choices. I have seen them in action for the past couple of years (NASCAR & at BG Tractor Pulls) and they are well worth the investment!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
On my next big trip I'm going to take my regular big cooler and build a box around it.
I figure 2 in. of foam covered with 1/2 in. plywood on all six sides. I figure I'll have basically the same thing as a high ticket cooler and a lot less money outlay..
Plus the plywood/foam sides will be breakdown. What do you guy think of the idea?

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
On my next big trip I'm going to take my regular big cooler and build a box around it.
I figure 2 in. of foam covered with 1/2 in. plywood on all six sides. I figure I'll have basically the same thing as a high ticket cooler and a lot less money outlay..
Plus the plywood/foam sides will be breakdown. What do you guy think of the idea?

That sounds pretty smart. Big question I suppose, is would it be grizzly bear proof ? lol

Buckmaster

Portage
Good comparison videos. Thank you.

I'm leaning toward the 95 quart Pelican.

It's around $ 430.00 so split between my Dad, myself, and my BIL its about a $ 143.00 each.

Not so bad when you need to keep fish or game cold for a week. It will become a "family cooler".

I perhaps will have the coldest beer around the campfire. :smiley_adfundum:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My buddy has an Icon cooler and it does great. I have never used another high end cooler to compare it TOO. It did keep ice for our weekend trip with little burn off.