Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pulled Pork

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I got a 4 lb boneless picnic ham the other day. Dry rubbed it with a combo of salt, pepper, some generic bbq rub from GFS, onion powder, and seasoning salt. Then I rubbed half a cup of brown sugar on top.

Placed a thermometer probe in it and put it in the over at 225 for 7 hours.

The probe read 185 when I pulled it out. Had a really nice crust but a little of the brown sugar was still "normal looking" on top. I cut the twine that was holding it together and pulled all of it. I mixed it all together and the crusted pieces and brown sugar were absorbed by the pork.

Melted in your mouth and required no sauce on the sandwiches.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Made it again
Before the oven uploadfromtaptalk1391982486610.jpg

Then after a 9 hour cook
uploadfromtaptalk1391982515664.jpg

After pulling
uploadfromtaptalk1391982536889.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Anyone injecting their pork shoulders prior to smoking? Any general tips with pork shoulder? Going to do my first one this Sunday.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Pork injection...

1 cup of Apple juice
1 cup of water
1/2 cup of salt
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1.5 tbs of soy
1.5 tbs of Worcester
1 teaspoon of cumin

Should make enough for two, 8 pound butts. I recommend injecting from the side (with the bone). One injection spot would get three repositions before pulling the needle.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Pork injection...

1 cup of Apple juice
1 cup of water
1/2 cup of salt
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1.5 tbs of soy
1.5 tbs of Worcester
1 teaspoon of cumin

Should make enough for two, 8 pound butts. I recommend injecting from the side (with the bone). One injection spot would get three repositions before pulling the needle.

Also, for large pork cuts skip all the wrapping and other stuff. For a first one I would let it cook until it hit 195. After 195 look for the bone wanting to pull easily. If so, it's done. I would also skip any fancy rubs. A bunch of salt and pepper with some brown sugar mixed in should be great. Once the butt is done I would wrap it in foil, place in cooler wrapped in towels for a couple hours. This really helps with moisture and tenderness.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I took Beener's injection and added some additional spices, melted butter and a splash of vinegar. I'll spritz with a version of what Joe uses. My dry rub was a lot more than S&P and sugar, but I love bold, complex flavors, so I was willing to try this out. Shoulder goes on at 7:30. Hoping its done by 6! Going make a Memphis style sauce and a Carolina mustard sauce to go with it tonight. Paired with sweet tater fries, coleslaw, and grilled asparagus. Should be a good family dinner tonight!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I took Beener's injection and added some additional spices, melted butter and a splash of vinegar. I'll spritz with a version of what Joe uses. My dry rub was a lot more than S&P and sugar, but I love bold, complex flavors, so I was willing to try this out. Shoulder goes on at 7:30. Hoping its done by 6! Going make a Memphis style sauce and a Carolina mustard sauce to go with it tonight. Paired with sweet tater fries, coleslaw, and grilled asparagus. Should be a good family dinner tonight!
What time shall I get there? Lol.
That sounds great buddy! Enjoy

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I made a ten lb butt for the fourth. Put it on at 9pm on the third and it finally hit 200 @ 1pm on the fourth. Let it cook at 210-230ish the whole time. Wrapped in foil and sat in a cooler till 530.

Only used about half the charcoal I loaded into my UDS.

About a half inch of a smoke line and lots of delicious meat after I pulled it.