Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ordered a new longbow

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I ordered a new longbow to order from http://www.gibow.com/
Justin is an Iraqi war veteran so buying a bow from him was an honor. He had good reviews in the forums that I searched.
He mostly makes you-finish-bows, but mine will be sanded and ready to accept tung oil.
71" @55-60#, bamboo backed ipe with hickory tip overlays.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's awesome Mike! Got a pic of the bow you're getting? I checked out the link but couldn't navigate on my phone to well. I'd like to have a recurve or longbow on of these days TOO.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I bet if you asked super nice like you could get a certain talented bowyer to spray an epoxy finish on it for you and that way it will have a rock hard finish and you won't have to ever worry about it.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Would this super nice and talented bowyer have an epoxy that would be a matte finish?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Not feeling good about this. I can't get in contact with this dude. I've messaged him on FaceBook and it shows that he's seen my PMs. I've been reading that others are having similar issues. I gave him one more chance a bit ago and it shows that he saw my PM. Next step is to contact Citibank.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Douchebags come in all sizes and all different types of uniforms Mike.... Hope it works out in your favor Mike....

Not feeling good about this. I can't get in contact with this dude. I've messaged him on FaceBook and it shows that he's seen my PMs. I've been reading that others are having similar issues. I gave him one more chance a bit ago and it shows that he saw my PM. Next step is to contact Citibank.

He has a bulletin on his website home page saying they are moving shops and there is a delay in orders. He probably should have sent out an email or phone call. I doubt he has more than 20 customers waiting for bows at the most. So that's sort of poor communication on his pair if that is indeed the case. Either way I hope you get your bow soon. Almost 6 weeks is a long turn around time for a custom bow. Most bowyers I know or have dealt with have your bow done in 3 weeks.

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
What pisses me off is that I know he has seen my PMs on FaceBook and he has ignored them. That's BS. I'm going to call him today and if I don't get anywhere, my next call is to Citibank.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
He just messaged me on Facebook and apologized for the lack of communication. They are moved in and my bow should be completed later in the week.

The lack of concern/communication and the distance would keep me from purchasing one of his bows. I prefer to have the bowyer within a reasonable driving distance, but that's just me. I've never cared for longbows, due to the hand shock, but really like recurves. I owned a Hungarian recurve that was smooth, accurate and weird...but it shot well.

I wish you all the best with your new bow. There are some serious traditional bow shooters at the Tomahawk Archers Club, in Temperance, Michigan. Good club and great shooters!

Bowhunter57

Jamie

Ohio
Mike, if this does not pan out for you, I can sell (or trade) you a "you finish" bamboo backed osage bow tillered to whatever specs you require.

Bowhunter57, I'd say that perhaps you have not shot a well made longbow. handshock is not inherent in any particular style of bow, but exists in poorly designed/constructed bows of all styles.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck on your new bow. One of the reasons I'll never in my life bought anything where I've had to pay up front before it's made or done. It's just me.
In the past I've built 2 new houses and never paid a contractor up front to start do a job. Only had a problem with one heating contractor who wouldn't or couldn't do correct install work. He lost 5K on the job and never asked for it as he know he was in the wrong.
Of course I'm reasonable and a man of my word on a hand shake.