Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Releases

Strizzi

Hey guys, I'm looking for some input. I just picked up a higher end bow (mathews creed xs) and I'm in love with it. I've shot the snot out of it since I got it Friday. I currently use a true fire wrist release, and I've always been intrigued with a thumb release. I do a lot of shooting in my backyard throughout the year. And mainly use my bow for hunting. I would love to get into 3D shooting just don't know how.

What are the advantages using a thumb release? I would had to drop $100 on a release and it not work for me.

If you've used both which do you prefer? I apologies in advance if this has been beaten to death.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I shoot a Stanislawski Shootoff Quattro and love it. I feel like I have more control of the draw and shot process with a thumb release and IMO, that translates to greater accuracy. Archery is all about feel, so I would suggest shooting a few thumb releases before you make the switch. I'll never go back to a wrist style release, but I know guys who won't even attempt to shoot one.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am not a fan of the thumb trigger. I love the looks and feel as most are quality pieces ( I like mechanical devices). I just shoot a hinge or wrist strap better. I've had Carter's, Stan's, and a TRUball. Wanted to like them as they are cool ( like a well made watch or knife), just can't shoot them as well. YMMV.

I recommend buying a used one off AT to try so your not out big money for a new one if you don't like it. New top brands are $200...

I shoot a Stan back tension when I shoot safari and indoor league. I shoot carter fits me too thumb trigger for hunting and 3d. I prefer a thumb trigger for hunting for the same reasons Jesse posted plus I am not "attached" to my bow. Once your sitting in the stand just clip it on your bow until your ready to shoot. A lot of people get in to the bad habit of punching the trigger on thumb trigger releases. Shoot as many as you can because each model is shaped a little different.carter stan and truball would be the starting point for a nice thumb trigger. I picked my carter up off AT for 90 bucks which is a very good deal.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Ive got a TruFire for hunting and a TruBall Boss X for 3D Love them both! Im not sure if I could go back to a wrist release. I noticed my accuracy got a lot better with a thumb release as well.

In my opinion a decent Thumb release must have at least these three things..Adjustable trigger tension(or weight),adjustable trigger travel and adjustable thumb settings for both projection and orientation.Stanislawski and Hot Shot come to mind...Both are equal in my opinion but a Stan will hold value better..If you not sure if you will like this type of release you can pick up lightly used Hot Shots for 75$ give or take on AT..Carter makes a fine release as well but they lack the adjustable thumb settings for both projection and orientation.That to me is key feature to make the release fit you.Just my opinion though.Also keep in mind Stan releases /Copper John sights give 40% to military for anyone you that this would apply to.

Strizzi

You guys have pretty much sold me on the idea, and if it doesn't work out I can always sell it off. I know I've spend more on stupider ideas.

Thanks again everyone! I just have to hope to find something used.

You guys have pretty much sold me on the idea, and if it doesn't work out I can always sell it off. I know I've spend more on stupider ideas.

Thanks again everyone! I just have to hope to find something used.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2173354

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2140084

I would look into one of these maybe even offer 10$ less or try to negotiate...Its a solid ,good release an if you decide you do wanna stick with it you can search out something else and spend more later..Just a thought