Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lima reservoirs - ice report

* Metzger still has some open areas and is NOT safe. I'm guessing that the city is still pumping into or out of it.
* Ferguson isn't much better. There are some good spots on the south and west banks, but the east side has had 3 guys go through the ice. No loss of life, but definitely some close calls.
* Lima Lake has some good ice...in spots. The problem is the ice varies from a thick 6", where the snow is thin, to 2" thick where the snow is deeper. If you go out on it, do so from the bank, checking as you go AND WITH A FRIEND. I walked out a short distance (20 yards) from the boat ramp and found 6" of ice, but broke through about 4' from the bank in a foot of water.

I was on a small farm pond near Ada, that had 4" of clear ice and I caught some nice bluegills. I'm going back out tomorrow with my brother and we may check the ice at Lima Lake again, but from a different bank. I noticed a portable ice shelter close to the south bank of Lima Lake, on the way home...around 4:00 p.m.

*** Due to the ice melting and refreezing, there seems to be a "mixed bag" of ice out there. From the snow sitting on the ice creating some "cheap ice" to areas with clear ice, it has made for some very dangerous situations for ice anglers. :smiley_chinrub:

Be careful...VERY careful out there!
Bowhunter57

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am sure my neighbor wouldn't mind you giving it a try again. I just need to ask her. I plowed the south edge with my quad and plow tonight out roughly 30'. She was shoveling the deeper end of the pond by her dock and house and didn't fall thru. I don't mind helping her out so she can ice skate but I wasn't plowing out in the deeper water because I need that quad to clear walks. lol