Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ring bologna and snack sticks

Derek j

Knox Co.
This is my second batch of homemade venison "snacks" for the year. The first batch was Jalepeno and hot pepper cheese sticks, and pepperoni sticks. The pepperoni sticks were PHENOMENAL!!! That seasoning came from Cabelas, and the jalepeno came from Waltons. Normally, I always take around 40# of meat to Yoders in Fredericksburg to have sticks and ring bologna made each year. This time, I decided to do it myself. I bought a package of the bologna seasoning from Cabelas (their brand), and bought the "hunters blend" seasoning from High Mountain for the sticks. I put cheddar cheese in the bologna, and mozzarella in the sticks. I smoked the ring bologna today, and it is GREAT! I will never have it made for me again. It would have cost me around $200 to have 40# of sticks and bologna at Yoders, but it cost me a grand total of $50 for seasoning and cheese.

Derek j

Knox Co.
Here are some pics. I need to build a bigger smoker if I'm gonna do this much. It will take 4 different batches to do it all right. I have an old fridge that will work nicely as a new smoker.

Derek j

Knox Co.
uploadfromtaptalk1390017991146.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390018003444.jpg

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Ya buddy! I just picked up 13 pounds of jalapeno snacks sticks I had made. I have a grinder now with the sausage stuffers so I will be doing my own next year, it gets TOO expensive when the meat shop does it. How long did it take you to do all that?

Derek j

Knox Co.
Grinding and stuffing is probably an hour or 2. I bought the 1/2 hp industrial grinder from cabelas and the water powered stuffer from dakatoh sausage stuffer. It cuts the time down dramatically. Smoking takes the longest time.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I took 13 pounds of deboned venison and a skinned doe minus straps and loins to the butcher. I had the 13 pounds made into jalepeno snack sticks and the doe all burger. $97 was the total, I just wish I got my grinder before this season! Way TOO expensive.

Buckmaster

Portage
Ten years ago I took my deer to the processor. I sampled some of their sliced beef jerky strips. It was awesome; but not $ 14.00 per pound awesome.

And so it began. I do all my own stuff.

Here's my latest batch of venison bologna, Cracked Black Pepper & Garlic.

Grinder.jpgSmoker.jpgBolonga.jpg

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Looks awesome! I take my goose to Bylers in fredrickstown. He charges 1.85 a pound for sticks with either hot pepper cheese or cheddar . Its good stuff . Ya get it back in bulk tho so you gotta wrap it .

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Looks awesome! I take my goose to Bylers in fredrickstown. He charges 1.85 a pound for sticks with either hot pepper cheese or cheddar . Its good stuff . Ya get it back in bulk tho so you gotta wrap it .

How are goose sticks? I've never had them.

Derek j

Knox Co.
from the time you grind them (goose) up, you cant tell the difference. I give people goose and duck sticks all the time, and they think it is deer.