Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This may sound stupid but will I be denied for a gun?

teej89

NE PA
When trying to sign a lease on an apt up here they did a criminal background and a flag came up. It was theft of public services and I had no clue what they were talking about. Then once they told me where it happened I remembered.... back when I was 18(7 years ago) I snuck onto a mountain to go snowboarding and got busted. It was stupid. A $50 lift ticket turned into a $350 ticket.

The cop said it wasn't anything serious and it was just like getting a speeding ticket. However now that I'm planning on buying a shotgun I'm a lil iffy about going in to get one before I get this cleared up if it's going to be an issue. I don't want to look like an idiot.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like Big Holla's suggestion. People do stupid things at times. The younger, the greater the chance. You are older and I am sure this wouldn't happen again. I think I would attempt to get it expunged.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You should be ok. It's a non violent misdemeanor. Get the gun then work on getting it expunged. Most jobs do background checks these days.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I don't think you'd have a problem buying a firearm or even getting a Concealed Handgun License with that charge. You should be fine IMO.

I'm not a lawyer but I would bet $50 it's not an issue.

Strizzi

I have a buddy that got arrested for trespassing band it got flagged on his apartment lease, however he has had no issues buying handguns and recently got his ccw. I think you will be ok.