Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Corn strategy

Shoulder Blade

If you had to choose whether to put a new corn pile:

1. In the woods or a field, which would you choose and why?

2. In a big pile or really spread out, which would you choose and why?

3. Do the additional feed attractants work?

4. I have had corn out sporadically in one spot, would you be afraid to move a quasi established area if you felt the deer activity was not the greatest in that spot?

Thanks

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I would put it where the deer have some cover so they feel safer coming to it in the daylight. If your doing a camera survey you may want to put it in more of a pile to make sure to get pictures. Corn works period. I wouldn't move it unless you don't have any shooters coming to it. Then I'd try somewhere else.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I have a stand along the edge of the woods overlooking a winter wheat field. The deer are so skiddish in this area because people can see them from the road. Therefore, I bait just inside the woods along their main trail leading to the wheat. It depends how close to their bedding area it is. You don't want them bedding right next to the pile

TwistedX

1- it all depends most commonly my corn piles are just inside the tree line by about 20-50 yds easy n quiet to get to them to dump but concealed so they r comfortable.
2- if your looking for pics I'd use a pile if your going for shots spread it out. I like a times feeder so they have to come before it all gets eaten, you can sometimes get them to come in daylight hours like this. A while ago when I started baiting I used a PVC pipe and a hole in the end 50 lbs of corn would last 2 weeks and keep them interested.
3- only reason to use additives is for deer nutrition.
4- I'd set up a few piles figure out where they are coming in and use that one pile.