Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Corn

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just picked up a load of corn for the corn stoves. 3220 lbs. for 249.55. The grainrey said there is a bumper crop this year.

It's our local grainrey. They take it in, dry it, as they put it in one side of the large bin it's taken out the other side. We did get 5% discount for cash up till 2 yrs. ago but that went away. Darn.

Last edited:

Treed

Stark County
I'm getting 100# bags for around $12-13 at the local feed mill. You got a hell of a deal frank!

Which feed mill are you using? I get my chicken feed at Yoders Feed Service out toward Hartville, it's some non GMO stuff my wife likes. I think he's charging ten or twelve dollars for a 50# bag of deer corn if I remember right. Wouldn't mind getting a better price on that.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Which feed mill are you using? I get my chicken feed at Yoders Feed Service out toward Hartville, it's some non GMO stuff my wife likes. I think he's charging ten or twelve dollars for a 50# bag of deer corn if I remember right. Wouldn't mind getting a better price on that.

Mt Eaton Elevator, you can Google it and get address. I live in Navarre, its only 15 minutes from me.

Treed

Stark County
I just Googled it, of course, it's in the complete opposite direction of where I go to hunt. I think I'll try the feed mill out in Carrollton next time I drive through town. I have property down by Leesville so that's where I do most of my hunting. Next time I'm out that way, I'll stop in and check them out though. Thanks.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I gave $24 for 4 50# bags a couple weeks ago. Still have better than half of it. Probably should go check that feeder but I really don't care. If my boy doesn't head back out it is just throwing money on the ground. Maybe I will try some squirrel hunting soon. lol

Big H

Medina
I just Googled it, of course, it's in the complete opposite direction of where I go to hunt. I think I'll try the feed mill out in Carrollton next time I drive through town. I have property down by Leesville so that's where I do most of my hunting. Next time I'm out that way, I'll stop in and check them out though. Thanks.

I am pretty sure it is $7.50/50#'s at the Farmers Exchange in either Carrollton or Waynesburg. Same owner.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Farmers are being paid around $4 right now. Frank paid $4.34 which is a heck of deal because most mills mark it up at least 50 cents when you buy from them.

Bagging and the hassle of selling a few bags at a time makes $8 about right.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Luckily the farmer I hunt on or his wagon driver can't see too well. They're usually good for 1,000 pounds that miss the wagon when emptying the combine. Lol.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
About how long will that amount of corn last you the way this winter is going and how big of a home are you heating??

We are heating 2 houses right now. My son's 3200 ft. and my 2700 ft.
I kept 5 barrels with 180 lbs. each and I get 5 days out of each barrel. So 25 days. So feed rate set on low that's about 2.45 per day. Not bad in my mind. Best investment 1800.00 I ever made and that was 13 yrs. ago.
Now when the temp is lower I have to turn the feed rate up and go through about 8 gallons per day instead of just 5 gallons.
My son has 3 teenagers and they use almost 2 times the amount I do. That gave him 12 barrels.
But I go up each day when I run low and get a bucket full until he runs low. Then when the weather is dry we get a load.

Last edited: