Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

serious Lefty

Jamie

Ohio
serious Lefty.jpg

Lefty coming into his own. he may actually amount to something. we got our
limit today. First time I've done that alone. four at the first stop in
about an hour, number five after a long hunt in a big woods. Lefty
treed this one on the edge of the woods right where we started as we were exiting to leave after we hunted two hours non-stop, and it
took me ten or fifteen minutes of playing hide and seek with squirrel before
I had a shot. to his credit, Lefty stayed on tree hard the whole time. we
had to work awful hard for that one. I might have walked three miles on that
stop. got number six in less than one minute on the last stop just as it
started to rain. he made a nearly a dozen more trees, all dens and nests. dog doing a helluva job. shooter did good today, too. six
head shots. :)

Jamie

Ohio
sort of. I gave all of last years good ones to my squirrel hunting buddy to send with his. the rest Lefty ate. seriously. after they had been drying out in my shop for a few months he snuck in there and absconded with one. I saw him out in the yard eating it like it was candy! I gave them to him one at a time after that like they were treats. he ate every one I had and was pissed at me when they were gone. he might get to eat them all this year.

they pay with lures, not money and they are pretty particular about the quality. they only want primo tails. a hundred squirrel tails just aren't worth much more than a handful of inline spinners. is barely worth the effort of boxing them up unless you really like Mepp's spinners. here's another pic I took this morning. I thought it was kinda funny. lickin' his chops like those are his squirrels or sumpin'. :smile:

1-13-14.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Glad to see Lefty kicking tail, Jamie. I can't tell you had bummed I was to have to cancel yesterday. Still can't walk, btw. :( Mason was a little more than ticked off too. I think he was looking forward to it even more than I was.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
sort of. I gave all of last years good ones to my squirrel hunting buddy to send with his. the rest Lefty ate. seriously. after they had been drying out in my shop for a few months he snuck in there and absconded with one. I saw him out in the yard eating it like it was candy! I gave them to him one at a time after that like they were treats. he ate every one I had and was pissed at me when they were gone. he might get to eat them all this year.

they pay with lures, not money and they are pretty particular about the quality. they only want primo tails. a hundred squirrel tails just aren't worth much more than a handful of inline spinners. is barely worth the effort of boxing them up unless you really like Mepp's spinners. here's another pic I took this morning. I thought it was kinda funny. lickin' his chops like those are his squirrels or sumpin'. :smile:

View attachment 19037

Yeah, I saw what they offer. I'd keep making dog treats out of them!

Jamie

Ohio
Glad to see Lefty kicking tail, Jamie. I can't tell you had bummed I was to have to cancel yesterday. Still can't walk, btw. :( Mason was a little more than ticked off too. I think he was looking forward to it even more than I was.
no worries, there's still time. was bummed myself, but made the most of it, spending the day in the woods with my better half. hope you find some relief on short order.

bluedog

Love seeing all the pics and reading the stories of the hunt. Gosh only another couple weeks of squirrel season. I almost went out the past weekend but ended up staying in the house and doing some things I'd been putting off. Hoping to get out this weekend. It's been way too long. Keep the stories coming!

sort of. I gave all of last years good ones to my squirrel hunting buddy to send with his. the rest Lefty ate. seriously. after they had been drying out in my shop for a few months he snuck in there and absconded with one. I saw him out in the yard eating it like it was candy! I gave them to him one at a time after that like they were treats. he ate every one I had and was pissed at me when they were gone. he might get to eat them all this year.they pay with lures, not money and they are pretty particular about the quality. they only want primo tails. a hundred squirrel tails just aren't worth much more than a handful of inline spinners. is barely worth the effort of boxing them up unless you really like Mepp's spinners. here's another pic I took this morning. I thought it was kinda funny. lickin' his chops like those are his squirrels or sumpin'. :smile:

View attachment 19037

Good work Jamie. I had a cur dog that would eat deer tails. The first time she ripped one off a deer hanging on the meat pole I was pretty pissed. I started giving to her as a treat and she loved it.

Jamie

Ohio
I suppose I save the tails just because I like seeing the pile of them grow during the season and gives me a fairly accurate idea of how many we've brought home after it's over. happy the dog eats them and thinks it's a treat. I was a tad concerned about letting him eat them at first, but it caused him no ill effects and it made him so happy I couldn't stop :). I'm told that raw bones of any kind are not "dangerous" to feed to dogs, and I only ever give him one or two at a time. they are as much hair as tissue and bone. he gets all the hearts, lungs, livers, but no other guts. I'm gonna start feeding him the ribcages, too. is the only part I don't eat besides the head. I'm not giving him the heads anymore, either. could be a hunk of lead in there and eating teeth can't be any good for him.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm getting around a lil better...not good, but better. Are you going to have a free Sunday before season's end?

Jamie

Ohio
I figure dog has earned his own thread by now, but we're going with this one instead of starting a new one. we got a mixed bag today. three fox, one grey, one black and Lefty treed a flying squirrel for the first time ever. there were actually two of them on the tree. pretty cool, but very unusual. this is the first time I've ever seen ANY dog tree a flying squirrel. maybe since it is so cloudy they were active after sun rise. woulda had another grey if shooter had brought her A game.:( Lefty made at least a half dozen more trees, but they were all dens. not much action after 10 this morning.

12-14-14 edited.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
he has on two orange collars. one is just an ID collar for attaching a lead, the other is Garmin DC40 tracking collar. with this unit, the collar (the actual strap) is the same size as most training collar straps, so you can put the training unit on the same collar as tracker, eliminating one collar, the training unit. I still carry two controls, but having only one collar to put on him does make my life a little easier. doesn't seem to matter one way of the other to the dog, but two collars has gotta be better than three. The Garmin Alpha combines tracking and training into one collar and one hand held unit, but can still accommodate up 6 collars. whenever I need to replace or upgrade what I have now, that is what I would get.

Jamie

Ohio
yep, big time fun.

went and hunted with my buddy and his dog Tricks today. Tricks is Lefty's mother. was a beauty of a day to be outside with the dogs, and they did find us some rats. we took 6 fox squirrels, each dog showed us three and made some den trees as well. not the best squirrel hunting we've ever done, but a fun day. peeled them as we went today, so no hero pics.